PDA

View Full Version : lathe choices

Phil Labowski
07-08-2009, 10:15 PM
what is the difference between the HF and the Jet 1236?? I'm sure you guys get this alot and I don't want to hear about $400 either, unless that's the only one. I did notice that the Jet will go a little slower, which is an issue for me since I'll be rounding my blanks with a chainsaw. Also I haven't seen anything about the PSI lathes are they any good?
Oh yeah anyone want to come build me a bigger shed? lol

Alan Trout
07-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Phil, If you are going to buy a lathe and your are considering at midi, mini I would consider the Jet 1220 or the new Delta Midi VS. At some point I will end up with a new small lathe and the Delta will be it. I got a good look at one and the quality looks very good with some great features. It also has a 1hp VS motor with reverse which is very nice to have with a good slow speed.

My pen lathe is a PSI VS. It has been a good lathe. I have turned on both the Jet 1014 and the PSI and I can't tell any real difference.

Good Luck

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
07-08-2009, 11:25 PM
If I was going to start with a 12" swing and for space purposes I would look at the Jet 1220 VS or the Delta Midi VS. I agree with Alan. I got to see and turn on a Delta and I am not sure I would have made the choice I made had the Delta been available when I bought the Jet but either one would be a great starter lathe.

Phil Labowski
07-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Also, I have a pretty severe physical handicap and I need to be able to move or turn the head stock. The midi that Pete has you can move the head stock fairly easily.

robert hainstock
07-09-2009, 9:44 AM
Phil, the jet headstock will index, the HF will not. So whatever other diferances there are would be in the headstock. I had the pleasure of visiting P.J. last year, and he has the powermatic 3520B I believe, a much more pricey machine. I own the HF, and have never turned the head around, I also have the 1220VS which cannot be reversed. As I do not know your situation I would suggest you consider the Jet 1642. Neighbor Steve S. has one, and it is a great piecee of machinary. The headstock slides down to the end, and would not have to be lifted off. Although I am not sure how much the tailstock weighs.
Another point I would make is that with the two macines you are looking at, (HF vs jet 1236) 3/4 hp might be light for outboard turning. Here again the big jet 2hp will certainly do the job. The only complaint I have ever heard Steve make is an occasioinal wish that it were bigger.
The Reeves drice on the HF machine has a 1/4in belt, and I suspect that the Jet machine does too. Any weakness in either machine (IMHO) would be in that part of the machine. I have had my HF since the mid 90s. And have put three belts on it. (HF sells these for less than $3.00 apiece. Good luck with your choice. I am looking forward to seeing it, and your resulting work with it.:):)
Bob

Alan Trout
07-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Phil if you need a rotating headstock, I would consider the nova 1624-44. Craft Supplies has a great sale going on right now. It includes the bed extension and a G3 chuck. http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Lathes___Band_Saws___Full_Size_Lathes___Nova_1624_ 44_Lathe___nova_1624_44?Args=Or the more expensive option but is the lathe that I have is the DVR that is also on sale. You get a bed extension and a Super Nova 2 chuck. http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Lathes___Band_Saws___Full_Size_Lathes___Nova_DVR_X P_Lathe___nova_dvr_xp?Args=

Good Luck

Alan

Angie Orfanedes
07-09-2009, 12:32 PM
I started looking at HF's and Jets, when I decided I "needed" a lathe that could swing at least 12 inches. Looking at the differences between the HF and the Jet, I could not justify the price differential (about $500 as I recall), so I bought the HF.

The HF 1236 is a close copy of the Jet 1236, but there are some apparent differences:
- The low end speed is 600 on the HF vs. about 450 on the Jet.
- Neither lathe has an outboard wheel for advancing or slowing down the spindle.
- The tailstock on the Jet looks to be a stouter casting, and a smoother mechanism for advancing the tailstock.

I have built a shelf on the cross supports and loaded about 200 pounds on it - this has helped the stability. The Jet is also light, and benefits from ballast also.

So far, the HF is doing fine and is helping me learn to turn. If I ever decide to upgrade, there would be no reason to get a Jet 1236, since I have a near clone of it now...but a Jet 1642 VS...that would be really nice.

Rusty Smith
07-09-2009, 4:39 PM
As I've stated in other threads, I think that the NOVA 1624-44 is the best price/performance lathe on the market especially when on sale like stated above.

Mac Carlton
07-09-2009, 7:18 PM
I owned A hf lathe and it was the better one ,that they had or more expensive one .My shop is small and the thing was so noisy that I could'nt hear myself think ,also I stripped bango screw out had to rethread. anyway I sold it ,but fast and cheap. Went to grizzly and bought the vari speed (ISO) 1220 . I like it much better . Jets are nice, I have used them in other peoples shops . One day I would like to get the 1642 jet .
PS when loading the hf lathe up ,in the guys truck ,the legs bent and almost collapsed. So if you get one either bench mount it or beef up the legs. Just a thought.

Phil Labowski
07-09-2009, 8:14 PM
Pete had a little midi lathe too when I was there.

How much does the Nova bed extension run? I know I need a chuck because I want to make bowls, but I don't really need the extension unless someone asks for spindles or something.
But thanks for all the tips, keep em coming!

Oh yeah! What keywords do I use to find a sharpener (slow speed grinder)?

David Hostetler
07-09-2009, 8:35 PM
I own the HF #34706 (Jet 1236 clone).

Noisy? Hardly. The fellow that had a noisy lathe must have had either another model, or a dud and failed to take it back...

Need a shelf with ballast? Absolutely! Mine has 320 lbs of concrete on it right now, along with my chisels, chuck, and other turning bits and pieces.

Aligning the head stock is interesting right out of the box, but once done, leave it alone, or get one of those dual MT#2 alignment tools to make sure your centers line up every time you move it around.

I have had mine now for about 6 bowl attempts, and 4 spindles, no worries yet.

I missed out on one on Craigslist. An older fellow had it, and was selling it due to arthritis. He had his for about 15 years and was very happy with it.

A bigger lathe would be nice. But in all honesty, this thing has more capacity than I can use for now anyway...

If you like the HF 34706, get one. You will have plenty of company.

Dennis Ford
07-09-2009, 9:18 PM
"How much does the Nova bed extension run? I know I need a chuck because I want to make bowls"

Phil;
You don't have to have a chuck to turn bowls, I have turned hundreds without a chuck (using a faceplate). A chuck is nice to have but not actually necessary.

Phil Labowski
07-10-2009, 12:29 AM
yeah David, that's the HF I'm looking at. The Nova would be awesome, but I think it's just way out of my reach. As far as ballast goes I've seen a few threads about that one lol.

Steve Harder
07-10-2009, 6:10 AM
Phil - I've owned a HF 34706 for three years and have turned a number of larger bowls on it. It's been a great starter lathe for me and just yesterday I've found a good home for it with a guy starting in turning as I'm making room for my new Nova. It is one used tool that I wouldn't be afraid to sell to a friend.

Rusty Smith
07-10-2009, 10:13 AM
How much does the Nova bed extension run?
Oh yeah! What keywords do I use to find a sharpener (slow speed grinder)?

Woodcraft has the bed extension for $219.99. The only reason I can see for the extension is if you are going to turn very long spindles or baseball bats. My grandson has asked for me to turn him a bat but I think I'll just use one of our turning club members lathe rather than spend that kind of money for a one time, maybe two time, shot.

Gordon Seto
07-10-2009, 3:22 PM
Also, I have a pretty severe physical handicap and I need to be able to move or turn the head stock. The midi that Pete has you can move the head stock fairly easily.
Don't know about your handicap condition. If you don't need long bed lathe, standing at the end of a Midi size lathe is equivalent to a pivoting headstock. Being able to use the tailstock adds security in initial turning.
Both lathes you are considering are OK starter lathes. You will notice an extremely high percentage of ex-owners (me included, the Jet 1236). A lot of turners also started on the popular brands mini lathes, but they love their small lathes so much that they keep the mini while adding the big lathes. I seldom notice that kind of love with the 1236 & its clone.
The 1236 has the mechanical Reeves Drive speed change. This is an older technology. They got the bad rap because companies are cutting corners in manufacturing them in order to a lower price point (not to cannibal their new lines with Electronic Variable Speed).
IMO, you will be better off with the Jet 1220, the new Delta Midi or the Nova 1624 as recommended. All 3 are excellent choices.
Don't make the mistake I did. I should have listened to the recommendations and bought the Jet mini instead of the 1236. I traded the 1236 for the 1014VS, which it is more enjoyable to use within its capacity IMO.

Brian Novotny
07-12-2009, 12:58 AM
What do people think about the shop fox w1758? It's got a 16" swing, revolving tailstock, variable speed, and looks pretty solid. Not only that but it's only $500.

Gordon Seto
07-12-2009, 11:40 AM
What do people think about the shop fox w1758? It's got a 16" swing, revolving tailstock, variable speed, and looks pretty solid. Not only that but it's only $500.

IMO, Run. If that is the only choice, I would rather take the HF 34706.

It is a Grizzly in Mayo color.

Craig Powers
07-12-2009, 9:18 PM
"How much does the Nova bed extension run? I know I need a chuck because I want to make bowls"

Phil;
You don't have to have a chuck to turn bowls, I have turned hundreds without a chuck (using a faceplate). A chuck is nice to have but not actually necessary.

Phil. Like Dennis said, chucks are not a necessity, they're a luxury.
Faceplates and glue blocks go a long way. It took me two years
and several hundred dollars to realize this.
Save the money you'd spend on the chuck and put it toward a better
lathe. In the long run, you'll be happier. Then get the chuck later if
you still "need" it.

Phil Labowski
07-13-2009, 12:13 AM
what does IMO mean? Is there some problem with ShopFox?

Mike Lipke
07-13-2009, 8:18 AM
In My Opinion.

Shop Fox is a variant of Grizzly. Grizzly makes many great tools, but many turners feel that their lathes are not their strong suit.

Gordon Seto
07-13-2009, 9:41 AM
It is awful close to the Grizzly G0462. For a 16" lathe, the 1" X 8 TPI spindle is on the light duty side (most have 1-1/4" diameter instead of 1" spindle. The slowest speed of 600 rpm is too high for 16" swing. And it has the reputation of creeping higher with time; that is a safety issue. It is unsafe to turn 16" diameter not yet balanced blank at 600 rpm.
For a 10" lathe, I would want the starting speed to be no more than 600 rpm.
I have seen this lathe in action; it doesn't run as smooth as a quality lathe should be. In turning, the lathe tools are held free hand, if the lathe is galloping, it would be difficult to obtain a smooth finish cut.
The HP rating is also questionable. 15Amp at 110V is impossible to be 2 HP.
The best part about this lathe is the cast iron legs.
Shopfox and Grizzly have very good value woodworking tools, but lathes are not among them. Their bandsaw and table saw are well made at an affordable price. Grizzly also has very good warranty service; unfortunately they are usually 1 years (not 5, like some of their competitors).