PDA

View Full Version : Used Laguna Bandsaw questions for the experts

Steve Evans
08-30-2004, 1:39 PM
Hi everyone

I've been planning the purchase of a new bandsaw and I had narrowed it down to either a Laguna LT16hd or a Minimax MM16.
I picked up my local buy'n sell today and lo and behold there's a used Laguna 16 bandsaw for sale. It doesn't say which one it is. It comes with three blades and mobility kit, plus accessories. He has it priced at the equivalent of $1350 US. I tried calling him to get more details, but unfortunately he wasn't home. If it's the LT16, I think he's got it priced too high. Is there an older model that it could be? I'm wondering if I can get some input on this possible purchase (ie what to look for on the saw) so that I can make an informed decision when/if I go and look at it.

Gary Max
08-30-2004, 2:04 PM
Used would save you a ton on shipping. Looking at the Laguna the new ones have ceranic guides. You can get the serial # and call the company up and get more info about the saw. Did you look at the saws that General is building these days???
Hope this helps

Steve Evans
08-30-2004, 9:02 PM
Gary

I just got off the phone with the woman who's selling the saw (her husband passed away). She doesn't think that it is an HD. I'm going to go and take a look at it tomorrow night. I'll have to take a look at it and see which blades that it comes with and decide if it's worth the risk.
Thanks

Jamie Buxton
08-31-2004, 1:10 AM
Steve ---
Prior to 1999 or so, the Laguna LT16 was built by Saggitario. After then, the LT16 is made by ACM, just like all the bigger Laguna saws. (ACM also builds bandsaws for Felder and Wilke and others.) I believe the LT16HD name has been applied only to ACM saws. The ACM saws have a better reputation than the Saggitario. At least on my LT16HD, there is a nameplate on the backside which says it was built by ACM.

Jamie

Gary Max
08-31-2004, 4:00 AM
Blades are not a real big deal---I got a great outlet for them. From the price you listed---I would try to buy it for 1K if it was a clean machine. Keep a open mind about other items that she may have for sale also.
I have a rule.
If I buy something it comes home with me------not ---I will be back to get it
This keeps everybody honest
Jamie's post about ACM is a real big deal---there are a lot of places across the pond that build saws.
If you think about it most of the BIG conpanies resaleing this stuff in the USA do not build anything they are just inporting containers full of someone eles stuff and resaleing it here.

Dennis Peacock
08-31-2004, 10:56 AM
I have a 1999 LT16 BS and have been in LOVE with it ever since. They make a great BS and I haven't had any trouble out of it since I bought it. I recommend the Laguna BS. Of course, if you have the money? The MM is a real jewel.

Cecil Arnold
08-31-2004, 9:59 PM
Well said Dennis. I understand that some of the later LT 16' came out of Bulgeria, and I know some people had problems with them. I understand that Laguna has now replaced the Bulgarian motors with Baldors which would make what, in my opinion, could be a risky deal a very good deal.

Steve Evans
08-31-2004, 10:35 PM
Well gents, I think this qualifies as a pre-gloat. It turns out it was a LT 16HD with three resaw blades (not the resaw king) and a delta mobile base for $1800 Cdn or around $1350 US. It doesn't have the ceramic guides but by the sounds of it that's not a big deal. I told her I would take it, but she wants to deal in cash, so I go back on Sunday with some strong backs to get it out of the basement. The official gloat will follow (with pictures for Tyler) once I have it out of the basement and in my shop. Her husband had a very nicely equipped shop, powermatic 15" planer , PM 6" long bed jointer, about 30 bessey's, leigh dovetail jig, a pc dovetail jig 3 or 4 PC routers, delta shaper, delta unisaw, general motiser, (benchtop model) and a whole wack of other stuff. I'm also buying the Bessey's, a pc 6931 router kit, a bunch of router bits, and possibly the Leigh jig (once she finds it). Don't want to get too excited until everything is in my shop.
I also told her I would help her sell some of the things. The place that she had the Laguna advertised was not the ideal location, so you might see a few things in the buy'n sell on here over the next few months.

Bruce Page
08-31-2004, 10:46 PM
Steve, it sounds like a real good deal. I wouldn't let any grass grow under my feet!

Steve Evans
08-31-2004, 10:50 PM
Bruce

I hear what you're saying, but I can't get anyone to help me until Sunday, and I don't think I can get that baby out by myself. Any suggestions on a one handed Laguna extraction??? Just to make it interesting, there's a landing on the basement steps halfway up. Looks like it'll be a tight turn.

Bruce Page
08-31-2004, 11:04 PM
No tips other than warning everybody NOT to lift it by the table! As a MM16 owner, these things are not only heavy but they're top-heavy so bring lotsa muscle!

Steve Evans
08-31-2004, 11:11 PM
Bruce

That brings to mind another question that I have. I plan on taking the table off for weight reduction reasons. Anything else I could take off to help lighten this sucker up a bit??

Jamie Buxton
09-01-2004, 12:20 AM
Bruce

That brings to mind another question that I have. I plan on taking the table off for weight reduction reasons. Anything else I could take off to help lighten this sucker up a bit??

Good Lord, how did he get all those big machines in there, down the stairs and everything!!!

Lifting a fully assembled LT16HD is quite difficult. (I have one.) You can kinda horse it around on a flat floor, particularly if you are big or you are two people. Dragging it up a flight of stairs might require a couple of NFL linemen.

Taking off the table is a good idea. First remove the blade, then look underneath the table. There's a single bolt you'd loosen to tilt the table on its trunnions. I believe that if you remove it entirely, the table will come out.

The other really heavy subsystem is the motor itself. I haven't removed it from my machine, but I have moved it. (You move it to tension the drive belt.) From that experience, I know it is darn heavy. If you remove it from the machine, don't expect to hold it up with one hand while you undo mounting bolts with the other. Put blocks underneath it to support it when the bolts come loose. There are two mounting bolts in the motor's flange. On my machine, the heads are inside the saw's cabinet, and the nuts are outside.

Oh yeah, you'll have to disconnect the power cable from the motor. Do that before you unbolt the motor. I think you can disconnect it at the motor. If not, you'll have to disconnect in the power switch. You get at that by going in through the front face of the switch.