PDA

View Full Version : Extremely overdue notification of Creeker Visit

Brian Brown
07-08-2009, 7:16 PM
Work has really been kicking my backside lately, and I have had zero time for posting. So, now that I have a minute, (only a minute), this is the notice of a creeker visit that was announced by Jason Clark in another thread. Work took me to Phoenix in early June. While there I met fellow Creekers Jason Clark, and Wally Dickerman. Jason and I talked turning so much I failed to get any pics. However, while at Wally's, I did manage to get a couple of pics of his amazing work. Thanks Jason and Wally for taking the time to show me your shops and teaching me a few new tricks. Maybe after the busy season is over, I'll look into building a vacuum chuck like Jason's, and I am definitely looking forward to getting a hollowing tool. Wally showed me plenty of different types, but I'll be lucky to get just one. Thanks again guys, it's always nice to meet new people with the same interests, and much greater talent. By the way, I traded Jason some apricot and Box elder burl for some Mesquite and Desert Iron wood, and Wally some Russian olive and Box elder burl for some sassafrass. Maybe soon I'll get a chance to turn some.

Steve Schlumpf
07-08-2009, 8:51 PM
Brian - all I can say is WOW! Always happy to hear of Creekers getting together but really figured you of all people would have photos of every step! LOL Thanks for the photos of Wally's turnings! I am sure you had a great time with both Creekers! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of your new woods!

Bernie Weishapl
07-08-2009, 9:25 PM
Brian that is great when you can get together with people of the same interest. Great pictures.

Wally Dickerman
07-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Brian, it was a real pleasure to meet you. I enjoyed your visit very much. Meeting fellow turners from the web is always interesting. I haven't gotten around to turning any of the wood that you dropped off. Because I don't have a/c in my shop and it gets pretty warm here in the SW desert, I seldom rough turn in the summer months.

I was impressed with the big pro looking camera that you used. Thanks for showing the pics.

There is such a large number of hollowing tools to choose from now, actually making a choice is sort of a crapshoot, it seems to me. At the AAW bash in Albuquerque I looked at a few that I wasn't familiar with. The trend seems to be toward the captured tools.

Visit again when you're in Arizona. Fellow turners are always welcome.

Wally

David Walser
07-09-2009, 2:02 AM

Visit again when you're in Arizona. Fellow turners are always welcome.

Yes, please do visit Arizona again. Only try and make it after September and before May! We'd love to have you anytime, but you'll like visiting more during Chamber of Commerce season.