PDA

View Full Version : Any one know how to date block planes?

dan sherman
07-08-2009, 6:30 PM
Yes I know the title of my post could be interpreted in several funny ways, but i didn't know how else to word it and keep it short. :D

Anyway I picked up a decent 60-1/2 from the bay yesterday (should be hear soon), and I was wondering if anyone knew how to determine how old the plane is. This plane is going to be a user, so it doesn't matter one way or the other how old it is, I'm just curious.

what I know about the plane:
1. The blade adjustment mechanism is machined
2. "No. 60 1/2" stamped on the side
3. "C 3" stamped on the body under the blade
4. "Stanley Made in USA" stamped on the blade adjustment nut
5. the throat adjustment nut is brass

glenn bradley
07-08-2009, 8:11 PM
Dinner and a show? Sorry, I know everyone was expecting it. Now that we have that out of the way . . . .

Bill Houghton
07-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Yes I know the title of my post could be interpreted in several funny ways, but i didn't know how else to word it and keep it short.

Ask very politely, don't keep it out late, be nice to the parents, and don't kiss on the first date.

Anyway I picked up a decent 60-1/2 from the bay yesterday (should be hear soon), and I was wondering if anyone knew how to determine how old the plane is. This plane is going to be a user, so it doesn't matter one way or the other how old it is, I'm just curious.

what I know about the plane:
1. The blade adjustment mechanism is machined
2. "No. 60 1/2" stamped on the side
3. "C 3" stamped on the body under the blade
4. "Stanley Made in USA" stamped on the blade adjustment nut
5. the throat adjustment nut is brass

Look also at the logo on the iron/blade. Assuming it's original, this should help in dating it. The pics of logos at https://home.comcast.net/~stanleyplanes/planes101/typing/typing.htm may help.

"Made in U.S.A." makes it not among the most recent planes, since at some point after WWII all plane production moved to England.

Beyond that, I'm not aware of any type studies.

harry strasil
07-08-2009, 10:46 PM
1902 to 1982, blade 1.2 inches wide, 1 3/8 1914 and later, later models have model number stamped on body.

Jim Koepke
07-09-2009, 12:48 AM
My best guess would be that it was made after WW II. This is based on information from John Walter's book.

The book does not have a type study for the 60-1/2 or any of the low angle block planes. My information is compiled from similarities with the #9-1/2 block plane family and the #18 & #19 block plane type studies.

Your pictures look like the top edges of the sides are Japanned instead of machined. This was done from 1956-1959. In 1960, the color was changed. because of other changes after 1960, I would guess your plane most likely dates from between 1952 & 1959. That breaks down to later than 1952 to 1956 if the tops of the sides are machined and 1956 to 1959 if the tops of the sides are japanned.

OK, looked at the pictures one more time. Missed the turned up tip of the throat adjuster. That came about after 1952. So, my earlier speculation above has been modified. One type in the Walter's book goes from 1952 to 1956. It states that the later planes in this period came with the tip of the throat adjuster turned up instead of down.

Hope this answers your question.

My date/typing smarts are more with the bench planes than block planes, and there are still a few questions on my mind about those.

jim

Joel Goodman
07-09-2009, 10:18 AM
This prompts another block plane dating question -- when did the depth adjuster change from the vertical type screw to the more current horizontal screw/knob in the back style? Thanks!

Sam Takeuchi
07-09-2009, 10:46 AM
#60 series of low angle planes always had horizontal screw depth adjuster. On the other hand, standard angle block planes (9-1/2 and up) had vertical screw depth adjuster.

I think all became horizontal screw depth adjuster when Stanley came up with 12-xxx line of planes. Modern rendition of 9-1/2 is called 12-220, and it has horizontal depth adjuster instead of vertical one like standard 9-1/2 does. Not sure when these 12-xxx line became Stanley's standard line, I don't think it's that far back in the past, however.

dan sherman
07-09-2009, 3:43 PM
Jim,

That's exactly the type of info I was looking for, thanks. I will check the japanning when the plane arrives.

Can you tell me what the tittle of John Walter's book is?

Jim Koepke
07-09-2009, 4:17 PM
Jim,

That's exactly the type of info I was looking for, thanks. I will check the japanning when the plane arrives.

Can you tell me what the tittle of John Walter's book is?

Dan,

Glad I could help.

The John Walter's book is Antique & Collectable Stanley Tools - Guide to identity and value.

I feel lucky to have acquired my paperback copy for only $112 with shipping.

One can always hope for a new edition to be printed. From what I have read and heard, it may remain nothing more than a hope.

jim