PDA

View Full Version : Guess what this is? or WHAT is this?

Edward Brown
07-08-2009, 4:49 PM
I wasn't sure if I should post this into CNC or engraving. Someone gave this machine to us and we aren't sure what it is - we are a laser engraving company, this is new to us. I have included pictures below. I've found the company web site, and they gave us an ancient PC ( 486sx ) they used with it. So far we can't get the PC to boot up so we can tell what kind of software to use.

Any help on how to get this thing running, if it runs would be great - it came with an assortment of font "chips", vacuum and bits.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x193/labeledbass/4002.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x193/labeledbass/400.jpghttp://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x193/labeledbass/4003.jpg

Mike Null
07-08-2009, 6:18 PM
It is an old N-H engraving machine. It probably operates with a DOS pc. You'll need an air compressor as it uses a constant supply of air.

The great thing about N-H is that they can upgrade any machine they ever built. I bought an old one and spent about $10,000 to upgrade it and now it's as good as new and came with a 2 year warranty.

Your profile isn't filled out but if you're close to Toledo, Ohio you can take it over for an estimate.

http://www.newing-hall.com/ProductManager/publish/products/Model_400.shtml

Edward Brown
07-08-2009, 6:45 PM
Thanks for the link! Yeah the lady gave us the PC that went with it - very old, 88-90 486sx. I've been tinkering with it but the hard drive isn't working (or being recognized). So I can't tell what kind of program could send a job to it. I've looked around and seen "apex" as an example of some of the software, we use CorelDraw. Do you think this machine is limited to dos based platforms? I know 2 of our laser engravers with only spool with Windows 98, nothing newer. I do see it has a serial connection for data.

Again thanks for the reply, if anyone else knows some info or whereabouts I could get some info on this particular model please let me know!

BTW I live in Savannah GA, nowhere close to Ohio - 10,000 you say? Anyone know the retail of one of these? I've always told my boss it would be nice to have a rotary of some sort for those "special" orders.

Thanks!

Edward

Mike Null
07-08-2009, 10:07 PM
If you are going to spend any money on this machine then I think you'll need a new controller which, as I recall, is about $5,000. Engravlab is the software they're using with this controller and my version was $1600.

It looks like you at least need to have N-H check it over to be sure the lead screws, motors and spindles are in good order.

I bought some other items including some necessary parts for my power vise and a new table which is why my refurb totalled such a high dollar.

They're great people to do business with so at least I'd give them a call and ask for Jeff Mathias.

I believe they have a good rep in NC.

Edward Brown
07-09-2009, 10:04 AM
OK - we finally got the older computer to boot up. We have the software running too. It has an electric motor on the back, which turns the spindle. What part of this is pneumatic? the downward motion? I see a air regulator on the front with a psi gauge to monitor/adjust and at least 3 different inputs. We would like to see what moves, if at all and go from there which any upgrades/refurbishing. I've included a pic of an arm in the back that seems to at least keep tension on the "rope" that turns the spindle, it must travel with the carriage but for the life of me I can't tell where it hooks up - I'm almost coming to the conclusion we don't have EVERY part for this thing.

If anyone else has more information that would be great! I would love to find some documentation, a PDF, or manual ( well it does have a manual but there is now diagrams stating which part is which, more of a operations manual - a service manual would be what I'm looking for ).

Thanks again for everyones reply! if this needs to be put into the CNC topic please feel free to move it!

~ Edward

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x193/labeledbass/arm.jpg

Edward Brown
07-09-2009, 10:48 AM
DISREGARD THE LAST POST ABOUT THE ARM -

This thing is slowly coming together - we've already sent a job to it and it works! needs some cleaning and lubing ect.

I AM still looking for some documentation if anyone out there knows of any!

Thanks loads!

~ Edward

Mike Null
07-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Send your email address to me.

Mike Null
07-09-2009, 11:35 AM
The part that appears to be missing is two parts shown here. The spring maintains the tension between the spindle and the motor with the end shown here connecting to the spindle.

The air pressure forces the spindle downward into the material to be engraved.

Dan Hintz
07-09-2009, 12:08 PM
While it's working, back up EVERY single piece of code on that hard drive. Once that is done, pull out another PC and begin to work backwards... figure out what files are necessary to run the engraver, then cut those to CD.

If you're serious about continuing to use the engraver, this will more than likely save you a lot of pain when (not if) the old computer dies.

Edward Brown
07-10-2009, 11:22 AM
While it's working, back up EVERY single piece of code on that hard drive. Once that is done, pull out another PC and begin to work backwards... figure out what files are necessary to run the engraver, then cut those to CD.

If you're serious about continuing to use the engraver, this will more than likely save you a lot of pain when (not if) the old computer dies.

Thanks for all the replies! We have gotten it to engrave, we aren't sure if the right spindle is working properly but again this is completely new territory. We have another worker figuring it out ( I've been heavily evolved in aligning out Radius for the past 2 days..., another thread for another time.). We did find the above pictured arm, which made perfect since.

With the above quote - would the software, which btw is a very simple DOS based program, run on XP, 2000 or even 98? I think after win98 the OS was certifiably windows instead of windows running off of DOS. If that is the case, we do have a spare Pentium with XP home that I could easily dedicate to this machine. I guess I would just go to the "dos prompt" to execute the program from there?

So far we have gotten it to engrave plastic and some brass - testing the accuracy detail it can produce. I am surprise but we do need this to be able to engrave small things, lighters, watches, old and end small plates ect. I don't think it has the capabilites to make signes such as a simple "bathroom" sign. But if everything does come together it will be worth the little time spent putting it back together.

I really need to find a "radial engraving" for dummys, I'm so used to Corel Draw and the accuracy of stepper motors and optic strips... this is a fun challenge though.

Mike Null
07-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Call N-H tech support. There is no charge.

Dan Hintz
07-10-2009, 3:54 PM
With the above quote - would the software, which btw is a very simple DOS based program, run on XP, 2000 or even 98? I think after win98 the OS was certifiably windows instead of windows running off of DOS. If that is the case, we do have a spare Pentium with XP home that I could easily dedicate to this machine. I guess I would just go to the "dos prompt" to execute the program from there?
Make sure that single program does not also use other drivers, command files, or batch files... check the path statement for appropriate additions, folders, etc.

The program may work, but that depends upon how it accesses the ports. As we get farther into the Windows world, Windows takes more and more control of the ports (parallel, serial, etc.), requiring all port requests to go through the OS. If there's no bi-directionality to the port required (e.g., status info back from the engraver), you're better off, though still not guaranteed to work. Even if that doesn't work, for such an old piece I might dedicate a DOS system to it and be done with it. I keep original DOS 6.22 disks around for just such circumstances.