PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Laminate - Where to buy?

Irwin Fletcher
07-08-2009, 3:52 PM
Do they sell high-pressure laminate at HD or Lowes? If so, where is it in the store? I can't find anything about it on either of their websites, but surely they have it.

I'm just talking about the stuff that I would put on the top of an MDF router table top or something.

Thanks

Fred Hargis
07-08-2009, 3:59 PM
Lowes has it back by the ready made cabinets, but it's a very limited selection of colors/patterns. You might try a cabinet shop, they may even have some cutoffs for free.

Chip Lindley
07-08-2009, 4:04 PM
I have seen 4x8' rolls of high pressure laminate at Lowes. (white only) As I recall, close to the ceramic tile area. Every store is a bit different. Pick a cute girl employee instead of an ugly dude and ASK!!

Lee Schierer
07-08-2009, 4:25 PM
Most cabinet shops will sell you what you want and can order in almost any pattern. I've found tehm to be most cooperative when I have talked to any of the ones around me.

Jason White
07-08-2009, 4:30 PM
It's at the back in Home Depot near the kitchen and bath stuff. They sell a limited selection of colors and patterns in 4x8 sheets.

I've seen it cut with a straightedge and laminate router with a pattern bit.

Jason

Do they sell high-pressure laminate at HD or Lowes? If so, where is it in the store? I can't find anything about it on either of their websites, but surely they have it.

I'm just talking about the stuff that I would put on the top of an MDF router table top or something.

Thanks

Matt Meiser
07-08-2009, 5:10 PM
For router table use, if Lowes or Home Depot has a damaged sheet they will usually sell it at a very significant (i.e. 50%+) discount.

Adam Cavaliere
07-08-2009, 5:34 PM
For router table use, if Lowes or Home Depot has a damaged sheet they will usually sell it at a very significant (i.e. 50%+) discount.

I was just going to add that. I was able to get a pretty nice discount on a full sheet because of a small crack.

It is nice to get a full sheet so you can practice with it. It was my first time with laminate and cutting it can be tricky if you don't do it correctly.

Ben Franz
07-08-2009, 8:56 PM
If none of the big box stores in your area have it, look in the yellow pages under plastic laminate heading or ask a cabinet shop where the local suppliers are. Most suppliers will sell to the general public but the price may be a little higher than the borgs.

Irwin Fletcher
07-08-2009, 9:28 PM
Thanks for all the replies fellas! You guys are great.

Russ Boyd
07-08-2009, 9:55 PM
A flooring company (one that sells carpet, vinyl, etc) is your best source. Around here there is a fair amout stocked at the distributor so you can get it in the same day. As far as Lowes and Home Depot, it seems from the other posts that it must depend on your location how they arrange their stores. Just ask someone. We have a lumber store here that sells "remnants" for a great price.

Vince Shriver
07-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Call Wilson Art and ask them where to get their stuff: (800) 433-3222

Sherzod Niazov
07-09-2009, 1:26 AM

Thanks

Try your local hardwood suppliers first. The supplier I like carries a wide variety of laminate and for a half price compared to Lowes.

Good luck.

Cary Falk
07-09-2009, 2:45 AM
Some of the HD or Lowes stock a limited supply and some don't. I had Lowe's order me a sheet of black for my Table saw tables. It was roughly $50. Any lumber yard or home improvement place should be able to get some for you.

Jim O'Dell
07-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Most of the HDs around here quit carrying it. One in Arlington carries about 6 colors. Most of the Lowes carry about 6 colors. I do have a distributor locally and can get any of the colors there. about 42 for solid colors at HD, and 44-46 for patterns. The distributor gets 58.00 for patterns. HD here would order it, but there is a 20.00 handling fee to get it brought to the store. Jim.

Dan Forman
07-11-2009, 3:27 PM
If you can locate a local distributor, they may have very good prices on odd sizes, remnants, or things that were never picked up. My local place has great prices on these.

Dan