PDA

View Full Version : How to fix or hide scratches in oak floor?

Jason White
07-08-2009, 3:23 PM
Just had the white oak floors sanded and coated with oil-based poly.

While moving back in, we made some fairly deep scratches (just in the poly, not the wood). ARGH!!!! :mad:

Any suggestions on filling in or hiding the scratches? I tried some of that "finish restorer" stuff in the yellow can from the hardware store, but it just colors the scratches instead of making them totally disappear.

Jason

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-08-2009, 10:27 PM
steel wool and more poly-U. That should do it .

Jim Rimmer
07-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Check the label on Minwax Hardwood floor reviver (available at HD). It helped on some glue spots for me but I don't know about scratches.

george wilson
07-08-2009, 11:30 PM
I fixed up our very old and heavily trafficed oak floors just by applying some gel varnish sold by Klingspor. It was easy to apply,and dried exceedingly hard. It hid the scratches perfectly.

Rich Engelhardt
07-09-2009, 5:28 AM
Hello,
Shellac sticks are made for just this purpose.
Check out Homestead Finishing.
IIRC, Jeff carries them.

Gary Muto
07-09-2009, 8:32 AM
We moved into a brand new house almost 4 years ago. The move in did some damage due to sliding furniture and boxes around. I decided to call it character and wait a while to do anything. 3 years later and some of the scratches faded a little and some more were added. It will never stop. I figure that after 5-6 years we will have to refinish so I'll take care of it then. We also have a couple of nasty gouges to take care of as well. The gouges bother me more than the scratches.