PDA

View Full Version : What wood for everday use?

Alan Tolchinsky
07-08-2009, 2:44 PM
Hi All, I'm thinking of making some small bowls for everyday use like cereal and milk etc. I'd think maple would be good but kind of boring. What other woods would be good for this use but more interesting? And how about wood suggestions for salad bowls? Thanks for any ideas. Alan

David Christopher
07-08-2009, 2:46 PM
Alan, if you want it more intresting try a segmented bowl..that way you can use all colors, sizes and shapes

Prashun Patel
07-08-2009, 3:15 PM
I always loves me some walnut.

For the most interest, you might consider making a set of 4 each out of a different wood.

Steve Knowlton
07-08-2009, 5:10 PM
Myrtlewood is good for both. I have made salad bowls for friends. I personally think any wood would make good bowl. It is the finish that i would worry about.

Jim Underwood
07-08-2009, 5:33 PM
There are all kinds of woods that would fit the bill.

Just don't use woods that are commonly toxic.

Bernie Weishapl
07-08-2009, 5:34 PM
I use walnut, maple, cherry, mahoganey, osage orange, myrtle wood, etc. for utility bowls of all kinds.

Nate Carey
07-08-2009, 6:00 PM
Alan, you're close enough to the source so this may make sense...if you can get a few good size pieces of grapefruit tree, try that. The wood, although not impressively figured, is a pleasant yellow color (almost as yellow as the fruit) and turns like "firm" butter...and it is "food safe"

Steve Schlumpf
07-08-2009, 6:09 PM
Alan - since you are asking for suggestions - I suggest Cherry! Beautiful wood to turn and the color will get better with time! As for Maple - ever think of curly maple? Great wood and the curl would really add some pizazz to your everyday stuff!

Alan Tolchinsky
07-08-2009, 7:33 PM
Alan, if you want it more intresting try a segmented bowl..that way you can use all colors, sizes and shapes

David, I dismissed segmented because of the glue lines. How do you think that would hold up over many washings and wet contents in the bowl? Interesting idea though. My wife loves my segmented stuff.

Richard Madison
07-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Alan,
Use Titebond III.

Rich Souchek
07-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Alan,
I use whatever is in the shop or wood bin, except oak.
Was once told a medium density hardwood was the best wasy to go, like soft maple, cottonwood, saycamore (sp?), etc.
That said, my favorite ceral/ice cream/everything bowl is pecan. It feels much different from a softer wood like maple or poplar.
Use whatever you like and learn how it works for the purpose.
Rich S.

Jarrod McGehee
07-09-2009, 12:57 AM
I would use some kind of domestic hardwood. They look nice. Maybe some avocado?

Alan Tolchinsky
07-09-2009, 11:36 AM
for your suggestions. I didn't know you could use woods like walnut. Walnut always seemed too porous/open grained to me but I'll definitely give it a try. I really appreciate the suggestions. Thanks again.

Harvey Mushman
07-10-2009, 8:11 AM
I'll agree with the suggestion of Cherry. No open grain, develops a beautiful patina, and it cleans up nicely.

Rasmus Petersen
07-10-2009, 9:20 AM
well for me itīs free wood... but it depends on what im making.. balusters good quality pine/fir or maple. bowls, cherry, mapel, eldar, oak.

But free wood is the bedst wood ;)

dan tull
07-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Mike Mahoney sells utilitarian bowls. Guaranteed for life. The main difference I see is, he only uses trunk,no limbs, and NO FINISH. See his website.