PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments......

Dennis Peacock
08-30-2004, 11:36 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone.

I got a little shop time this weekend, but work took most of it. I have a $60 piece of Gaboon Ebony coming from Curlywoods for this custom knife box I will be jumping into this week. I am waiting for an order to come in from Lee Valley that will have some CSBBQ stuff in the order as well as a router bit that I need for the wooden hinges on this knife box.

Besides the making of this box.....I'm working on the refinishing of this 104 year old Singer Sewing machine. I just got the shellac and stuff from Jeff Jewitt this past Friday. Next week is the delivery time I have for this knife box and time is running out and I have EVERTHING on order.!!!!!!! Next time, I may have to drive to Dallas, TX to get what I need.!! ;) :eek:

SO what did you do this weekend?

Best of Weeks to you all.....

Tyler Howell
08-30-2004, 11:53 AM
Hey Folks,

Shopped till I dropped last week getting ready for CA house guests this past weekend. Paint, plumbing, wiring, all the fun stuff with some new Tool Snob Specials.:D . Guests were also impressed with the shop ( part of the house tour). We may have a new member, as I touted the virtues of SMC.
Have a safe week;)

Clint deal
08-30-2004, 11:56 AM
Sounds like you're getting things all lined up Dennis. I'm looking forward to seeing this new knife box when you're finished. I hope the client lets you photograph the knife as well.
I'm still neck deep in cabinets that I'm building for my parent's new house. I bit off more than I should have as a whole house of cabinets is alot of work but I wanted them to have better than what the contractor had allowed for.
I have all the kithen together just trimming it out now. The bathrooms are installed and I'm waiting for a couple hinges to finish them up. I can see the light as they say.
Good luck on the knife box
Clint

Sparky Paessler
08-30-2004, 12:12 PM
Got some turning time in this weekend as I wait for the heavy equipment to come to do the digging out of the new workshop spaces. Played with the hollowing rig that I made for the first time and was very pleased with how it worked. Managed to rough out 10 and finish 1 vessel. 4 are cherry and 7 are black locust. Most of these will end up being Christmas presents.

Mark J Bachler
08-30-2004, 12:22 PM
Finished up another of the rental kitchens for "Half Way Steve". 4 down 6 to go. He had some laminate that looked like it belonged on a floor he wanted me to use for the counter top. I laminated it over MDF with an oak edge on it, then beveled the laminate back to expose the oak. The laminate completely destroyed my new Viper (yellow) carbide bevel router bit. Cheap bit or weird laminate?

Tyler Howell
08-30-2004, 12:37 PM
Finished up another of the rental kitchens for "Half Way Steve". 4 down 6 to go. He had some laminate that looked like it belonged on a floor he wanted me to use for the counter top. I laminated it over MDF with an oak edge on it, then beveled the laminate back to expose the oak. The laminate completely destroyed my new Viper (yellow) carbide bevel router bit. Cheap bit or weird laminate?
Talk is cheap Mark, Let's see some proof.:mad: Wana see what that Mini Max shop can kick out???:p ;)

Dennis Peacock
08-30-2004, 12:42 PM
Played with the hollowing rig that I made for the first time and was very pleased with how it worked.

OK....I want to see PICS of this hollowing setup you MADE.!!! I need to do the same....just not now....more than likely this winter. :D

Dave Anderson NH
08-30-2004, 12:50 PM
I had a semi-productive weekend with a decent amount of shop time. I spent a good bit of Saturday turning marking knife handles from Snakewood and getting ahead so I'll have ready stock. I also completed a set of Gabon Ebony knobs for the lift ramps on my plane till. The thing had been sitting without knobs for well over a year and was just begging for the final touch.

I spent some time cleaning up a type 4 #3 Stanley smoothing plane which belonged to my G-G-Grandfather Robert Anderson Jr and has his initials engraved on the side. It dates from about 1878-1884 and while it's well used and the iron is almost used up, it is still able to take shavings. I also took some scrap mahogany and made a small wall shelf to display the plane in a place of honor. I might even go and have a small brass plaque engraved for it.

As a final bit of weekend work I made an effort to begin cleaning up the shop and putting away some of the mountains of stuff scattered everywhere. The challenge is to find new storage spaces for all of the stuff I've acquired over the last year or so so it doesn't just sit in heaps and get in the way. The catalyst for this is the impending visit ( Gloat here:D ) of Creeker Mark Stutz and his son Tim tomorrow nite. Mark is dropping his youngest off at my old alma mater Tufts University on Wednesday to start college.

Sparky Paessler
08-30-2004, 1:04 PM
Dennis

I don't have any pictures here at work but will take some tonight. It is based on the Jamison system and is a lot like the one that Dan Barber shows on his website. It works even better than I thought it would and right now my total investment in it is $0. It's all made of scrap from the machine shop here at work. I will post in the morning the pictures.

Sparky

Bob Hovde
08-30-2004, 1:23 PM
Finished putting the siding on the garage and shop addition. (Used Hardiplank. It totally destroyed one carbide tipped skillsaw blade. The job might have been neater using the mitersaw, but I didn't want to destroy that blade, too. Caulk covers many ills!) Sunday afternoon, SWMBO decided that we should celebrate by cleaning out the garage - so that she could put her car back in it. Now that everything is neatly stacked against the walls, wiring is going to be a bit of a pain!

Bob

Dan Mages
08-30-2004, 1:49 PM
My weekend went pretty well

I turned that pile of lumber into this shell for my shed. I HOPE to have the roof framed in by this weekend.

Dan

Mark J Bachler
08-30-2004, 2:00 PM
Talk is cheap Mark, Let's see some proof.:mad: Wana see what that Mini Max shop can kick out???:p ;)
Nothing fancy about these for sure, Red oak veneer flat doors & drawers with 1/4" oak edging (I did match the grain in the doors & drawers). Ugly wide flooring looking laminate counter tops that eats router bits. The owner took an old half-way (rehab) building & made 10 low-income apartments (no plan what so ever). He's on a tight budget but I've been buying left over material from work cheap. 3/4" x 4 x 8 MDF w/ A-4 plain sliced book matched red oak veneer for $32 a sheet & sand spectrum kortron for the shelves, bottoms & partitions for $24. I picked up (2) 5 gal. buckets of Grass Euro hinges for $25 each, must be 150 pairs of hinges. I can give him a deal & still make a few bucks on the side. I will take some pics of the next set of cabs so I don't get a visit from the picture police.

Scott Coffelt
08-30-2004, 2:15 PM
Did some yard work, took the bikes out for a nice ride. It's getting harder as my son weights about 50lbs nowdays, still pulling him in a trailer. Watched some sports and then cleaned up the shop. What a mess.

I also started to strip an old door for a client, man the layers of paint on that sucker. This will carry into Monday.

Removed the old cabinet top and fence system for my DeWalt CMS and began replacing it for the Delta CMS. Mentioned my progress on nother thread.

Byron Trantham
08-30-2004, 2:34 PM
Spent most of time in the shop making the sewing room chairs for LOML. They're all done except the back supports. I am waiting for an 1 1/2" pattern bit.

I will start the priming process this afternoon.

Also waiting for my cherry plywood to show up. Hopefully tomorrow. Once it arrives I go into a major sheet goods cutting marathon!

Larry Browning
08-30-2004, 2:37 PM
Sunday afternoon I cut up some scrap walnut and cherry into about 200 pen blanks to donate to the freedom pen project. I will bring them to the CSBBQ and give them to anyone that might want them. There are about 20 to 30 made from walnut burl which I think will make great looking pens.

Larry

Tyler Howell
08-30-2004, 2:54 PM
Thanks Larry, Great investment of your time. Speaking of picture nazis, we need an visual update of that fine shop of yours:p ;)

Dick Parr
08-30-2004, 3:33 PM
Spent the weekend working on the old lathe that I posted on yesterday.

Tried to help a friend go pick up his motor home (RV) and it wasn't ready, again. Boy is he hot. :mad: We have called 3 times and each time they say it is ready and we get there and it's not. First time they thought it would be ready, second time they had to return brake shoes and it wasn't ready and Saturday when the owner said it was ready, the pedal went to the floor because they didn't replace the master cylinder. Did I tell ya he was hot :mad: :mad: . They have only had it for 4 weeks.

Fred Voorhees
08-30-2004, 4:13 PM
Work continues on the garage to bar room conversion. This weekend was dedicated mostly to building the window seating structures. I ordered the twenty sheets of 1/4" beaded oak paneling Saturday morning and should have that in about a week. Began to install the recessed cans in the soffits and got around to a few other small details that I've been staving off, but still needed to do. The room is really beginning to get a great 'feel" about it and is picking up speed. It sure is a long way from when I began to rip down the old drywall :p. Hopefully....hopefully...I can have it finished in time to host a nice New Years eve party. :confused:

keith zimmerman
08-30-2004, 4:39 PM
No shop time this weekend. It was my weekend for the kids to visit so all my time was spent with them.

I did, however get an hour to unpack my woodturning space after they left so I can finish up a potpourri bowl tonight and then set up my Beall buffing rig to prepare another delivery of bowls to take to Minneapolis this weekend. (Can't wait to get back to God's country). :D :D

keithz

Jim Ketron
08-30-2004, 5:46 PM
Done the same thing as the last 8 weeks worked on the new shop!but Im almost done a few things here and there!
I posted the latest in my new shop progress thread havent posted in a few weeks check it out there.
Jim

Steve Clardy
08-30-2004, 5:55 PM
Worked from last sunday till thursday night in the shop [11:00]:( on this dreaded Boat re-do that I got to deep into to quit. Remade 13 cab doors and interior doors, all lamanited. Yuck.
Then thursday and friday I installed 13 cabinets doors, 4 interior doors, and some cabinet trim. Had to install trim, stain and finish in place.
Three of the entry doors fit fine, one gave me fits, but got it rigged to work.:o
It was hot both days. Had to pack all this stuff down the dock steps, onto one boat, across it and then onto the 50' boat I was working on. It was hot in the boat, no airflow, sweated all day.:mad: I think I lost 10 pounds of weight.:mad:
Saturday I came home and just died.:eek: Was totally wiped out. Spent some time in shop re-arranging some benches. Then spent considerably time trying to figure out where to put the stuff that just kinda popped up outa place.
Also had dinner here with two of my sons and wife, celebrating our 31st anniversary.:D
Sunday I just goofed off in shop, trying to clean it up mainly.
Today I'm goofing off too.:) Tuesday it's back to the boat to finish a little more trim, then hopefully it will be done and shipped by truck tuesday to Carolina where it belongs, on the ocean, not here in a lake in Missouri.
Took my camera to snap a pic of this huge cruiser, but forgot, so the pic patrol will probably hunt me down after this post.:eek:

Pooped Steve

Tyler Howell
08-30-2004, 7:03 PM
Steve.

I know they got the right man on the job. Hang in there Bud you can beat this one!;)

Dennis Peacock
08-30-2004, 7:05 PM
Took my camera to snap a pic of this huge cruiser, but forgot, so the pic patrol will probably hunt me down after this post.:eek:

Pooped Steve

You've been caught.!!!!!! Penalty. <b>Penalty!!!</b> You must now post at least 3 pics of this project BEFORE it goes back to the ocean.!!! :p :D

Tyler Howell
08-30-2004, 7:13 PM
You've been caught.!!!!!! Penalty. Penalty!!! You must now post at least 3 pics of this project BEFORE it goes back to the ocean.!!! :p :DCome on Dennis, Even us picture thugs cut our ole buddy Steve some slack once in a while....He's been humpin on this project!;)

Mike Cutler
08-30-2004, 7:24 PM
I worked most of the weekend on a library shelf project I've been doing.Spent saturday and sunday planing and sanding 85b/ft of Jatoba. Got all the tongue and grooves cut for the glue up. Let the smoke out my Milwaukee router :( Jatoba is one tough wood on tools! Finished the last of 220+ M&T joints for the project. As a special bonus I had to redo 52 of the mortises, I swear I measured twice ;) .I guess hot and humid was the theme for the weekend, cause it was both here. Other than burning up my router, it was a great weekend.

Steve Clardy
08-30-2004, 8:17 PM
You've been caught.!!!!!! Penalty. Penalty!!! You must now post at least 3 pics of this project BEFORE it goes back to the ocean.!!! :p :D
Well you caught me there Dennis.:eek: Promise, I'll snap some pics in the morning as I install this [hopefully] last piece of trim in the morning.:rolleyes:

Tyler. Thanks for trying to get me off the hook here:D, but this Peacock
guy just won't let up on me.:eek:
I'll pay him back by bringing 75 lathe tools to sharpen at Terry's Barbecue.:D

Steve

Sparky Paessler
08-30-2004, 8:41 PM
OK....I want to see PICS of this hollowing setup you MADE.!!! I need to do the same....just not now....more than likely this winter. :D

Well Dennis here are the promised pictures of my hollowing jig that I made. the rear part of the tool is 3/4" aluminum. I used a 3/4" milling bit to cut into the side pieces for the 2 cross pieces to fit into and then drilled and screwed it together.the front part of the tool is 3/4" steel that I ground a flat spot on the end and drilled and taped a hole to mount the cutter. The cutter is tool steel that I ground to shape and then hardened at work. You can angle it from straight forward to back toward the opening in the bowl to cut under the rim. I also have some HSS cutters that I am going to use but haven't made the holder for them yet. The secondary rest is made up of odd scrap pieces of aluminum that I had around and holds the tool flat. I plan to add a laser pointer on a holder above the cutter so I can see where I am cutting but right now I have misplaced the laser.

Sparky

Jim Ketron
08-30-2004, 8:53 PM
Got some turning time in this weekend as I wait for the heavy equipment to come to do the digging out of the new workshop spaces. Played with the hollowing rig that I made for the first time and was very pleased with how it worked. Managed to rough out 10 and finish 1 vessel. 4 are cherry and 7 are black locust. Most of these will end up being Christmas presents.
OK Sparky thats some Awesome hollow vessels.:eek: :eek: I need some lessons from you!:D
Great job!!
Nice homemade hollowing tool too!
Jim

Dick Parr
08-30-2004, 9:16 PM
Very nice Sparky, a lot of thought and talent went into making that. Outstanding results are evident by the pictures you posted before. :)

Jack Diemer
08-30-2004, 9:32 PM
Visited the in laws on Saturday, played soccer with my niece and nephew. Sat on my a$$ in pain all day Sunday when my body was painfully reminded of the muscles required to play soccer.

On the bright side I did assemble my new Midi lathe. Without any turning utensils, all I can do is watch the littly thingy go round and round. Someone suggested I could turn about anything with a flathead screwdriver. I have one of those.

Jim Becker
08-31-2004, 12:18 AM
Nice job on the hollowing rig, Sparky! Excellent! (I'm a believer in captive systems for all but very small vessels)

As to my weekend...I didn't do as much as I wanted to, but I was pooped from a week on the left coast after a week in Miami, and knew I had to leave at oh-dark-thirty on Monday morning for another few days of fun and frollic "elsewhere". (I'm taking a VERY long weekend next weekend)

But I did get some lacquer sprayed on the bubinga platter with the painted carving (pics will be here sometime next weekend...no time before I left to deal with it). I also worked on finishing a nice turned box simliar to Pam Reilly's work, but I screwed up the finish on Sunday and have to "make adjustments". So, I started the summer shop project with a little demolition--I'm removing the short wall the "supports" the stairway in the middle of my shop to increase the usable floor space noticably. The stairs will be "flown" from the upstairs rafters with cables in the same manner that our entire master bath is supported from above. The stairs weigh a whole lot less and the shop has engineered joists, too...not crusty old 2"x10"s like the house does in the kitchen ceiling! The rest of the work will get done over the holiday weekend and I'm looking forward to the results. Pics to follow...

Other than that, I "supervised" the contractor that was (finally) continuing the installation of the second Pella bay window and the new MBR window...they are almost done...doing a two day job in about six days. Sheesh! Now, I'll admit that they are doing really good work and we're pleased with the results, but we'd really like it done already. They still have some j-mold adjustments between the siding and the bay roof to deal with as well as the copper flashing on the corners of the cedar shakes on the same roofs.

DVD of the week was The Full Monty.

Tyler Howell
08-31-2004, 12:26 AM
Go Sparky!

She's cooking!:cool:

Dan Mages
08-31-2004, 9:18 AM
My weekend went pretty well

I turned that pile of lumber into this shell for my shed. I HOPE to have the roof framed in by this weekend.

Dan

ARGH!! :mad: It looks like it will be a couple more weeks before I can claim any more can file any more gloats on this project. The "less than intelligent" (to be polite) people at Menards lost my trim and siding order. Even if they knew where it was, it would not matter. I requested cement fiberboard siding and they ordered hardboard siding. I can no longer trust them with handling these types of products. I will demand a full refund for this mess up and order the stuff elsewhere. Why is it that whenever I do a major project, the Borg strikes causing delays with their incompitency?!?

Dan

Chris Padilla
08-31-2004, 12:57 PM
Sparky,

You take a lesson from Hatfield?? That lathe area is too clean!! :D

Sparky Paessler
09-01-2004, 7:34 AM
Thanks Guys for the nice comments on the hollowing rig and bowls. Now Chris you know I have the same cyclone setup as you have! No really it isn't even hooked up yet as I am still moving dirt. 12 trailer loads yesterday digging out the enterance. I had just blown off the lathe for the pictures. Will post PIC tonight of the dirt moving. (tired this morning. Had to come to work to rest!)

Sparky

Steve Clardy
09-01-2004, 11:13 AM
You've been caught.!!!!!! Penalty. Penalty!!! You must now post at least 3 pics of this project BEFORE it goes back to the ocean.!!! :p :D
Well here's the boat pics to get me off the hook Dennis.:o
It's kinda cramped inside this cruiser for pic taking, so just took a few.
This boat is a SX50 Challenger Offshore.
Steve

Jim Becker
09-01-2004, 12:08 PM
Steve, is that the Love Boat?? :D

Steve Clardy
09-01-2004, 1:17 PM
Steve, is that the Love Boat?? :D
Lol. Could be Jim.:) They shipped it home by truck yesterday. :D
Glad it's gone. It was a hard worriesome job.
Steve

Jim Becker
09-01-2004, 3:13 PM
Yea, well...that red and white interior has gotta have some kind of romantic effect or purpose! :D

Tyler Howell
09-01-2004, 6:36 PM
Awesome Steve, I know love boats and that is some smooth sailing!:cool: