PDA

View Full Version : Advise on buying a dial indicator for table saw tuning

Drew Sanderson
07-08-2009, 8:50 AM
I am seeking advise on what dial instrument you would buy for table saw tuning. Please consider the price /performance issue with your suggestions. The price ranges out there are wide and I don't have a clue.

Thanks,
Drew

Chris Ricker
07-08-2009, 9:07 AM
I have had good results with a cheapo from HF.
I bought the magnetic base and dial indicator for about 14 bucks.

Result;Table saw is square and true, no burns or pinching.

Others may recommend something else, but this has worked fine for me.

Cary Falk
07-08-2009, 9:08 AM
From Harbor Freight. A total of $20 invested.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=623
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=5645

Fred Hargis
07-08-2009, 9:19 AM
I would also agree with the HF choice, for that kind of work it's hard to beat.

Dan Friedrichs
07-08-2009, 9:25 AM
The HF one goes on sale July 11th for $9.99.

I have one, and just screw it to a block of wood, then hold that against the miter gauge to check fence/blade parallelism.

This is one of the cases where the HF one is actually exactly what you need. You don't need accuracy, just precision.

Dave Sweeney
07-08-2009, 9:27 AM
Another endorsement for the HF set.

Joe Scharle
07-08-2009, 10:12 AM
this works for me

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/194/Alignment_Setup.JPG

Rod Sheridan
07-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Although I agree with Dan, you don't need accuracy, it could be out by 0.5" and you wouldn't care, you just need precision, I wouldn't buy an HF dial indicator.

Why?

Dumbest of all reasons, I appreciate good tools and believe that good tools lead to good practices.

The measuring instruments I own are Starret, Moore & Wright and Mitotoyu.

I wouldn't enjoy owning or using an HF dial gauge.

Like I said, dumb reason, however I don't own any non Klein pliers for electrical work for the same reason.

I do agree that the HF gauge will probably do the job however.

Regards, Rod.

Jerome Hanby
07-08-2009, 11:58 AM
I bought the dial indicator and magnetic base from Woodcraft. The indicator works well, the base is a little bit of a pain:o. I suspect the cheapie from HF would have served me just as well and I know a homemade jig to ride the miter slot is more useful than that magnetic base. Think this (http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=128400&FamilyID=1666) the combo I bought.

Bruce Wrenn
07-08-2009, 10:45 PM
I own dial indicators from both HF and ENCO. It's mainly who has them on sale when I need / want another. I have several jigs that use a dial indicator. For woodworking set ups, the cheapies are more than adequate. I really like the little 1/2" stroke indicators.

glenn bradley
07-08-2009, 10:54 PM
HF and a jig like Joe's. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=117955&d=1241992924)

James Carmichael
07-09-2009, 1:18 AM
Ditto all but Rod.

If a measuring tool costs 10x as much, it should be 10x as accurate. Even if they are, the $7.00 (on sale) HF indicator is accurate enough for TS alignment. I enjoy using it a great deal.

If you really want to go cheap, a #8 wood screw in a block of wood, clamped to your miter gauge, will get the job done.

Steve Rozmiarek
07-09-2009, 1:41 AM
Although I agree with Dan, you don't need accuracy, it could be out by 0.5" and you wouldn't care, you just need precision, I wouldn't buy an HF dial indicator.

Why?

Dumbest of all reasons, I appreciate good tools and believe that good tools lead to good practices.

The measuring instruments I own are Starret, Moore & Wright and Mitotoyu.

I wouldn't enjoy owning or using an HF dial gauge.

Like I said, dumb reason, however I don't own any non Klein pliers for electrical work for the same reason.

I do agree that the HF gauge will probably do the job however.

Regards, Rod.

Rod, I thought I was the only wacko here. Couldn't agree more. You can get a used Starrett "Last Word" for $40-$80 on the bay, and actually have a quality tool.

HF will work, but, so would two pieces of wood and a set of feeler gauges. Heck, forget the feeler gauges, and just use the two blocks of wood to go/no go test. One block in the miter slot, the other gets clamped/screwed/nailed/whatever to it just touching the blade.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-09-2009, 2:12 AM
I have the HF set too. Yes, minimal investment. Yes it works. Is a Starrett better? Naturally. Is it more accurate? Definetely. Does it make a difference? Maybe not for a table saw..... But for machine work I wouldn't use the HF. I've also done the wood block test. Sometimes your blade is not absolutely flat. I found that out the hard way....

Robert Chapman
07-09-2009, 8:58 AM
I have a Woodpecker's Saw Gauge and really like it. Like Rod I enjoy using a well made tool even if I have to spend a little more. This is a versatile well built tool that is very easy to use. It's one of those tools that you really need when your saw needs tuning but then you will rarely have to use it again. Be nice if someone rented them.

Brian W Evans
07-09-2009, 9:31 AM
I'll vote with Rod on this one. I've never used any tools from HF, so I'm not knocking them, but I have mostly found disappointment in cheap tools and joy in quality (read: more expensive) tools.

I use the A-Line-It system (http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=148720&FamilyID=20574). It has several pieces that allow me to make numerous measurements on several machines very easily. If nothing else, this encourages me to check my machines often. The things I specifically like about it are:

1) multiple tips for the dial indicator
2) good instructions
3) quality parts (e.g. spring-loaded buttons that keep the miter bar tight in your miter slot)

Since we're on the subject, if you have a contractor's saw and don't have PALS (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=20591), you need to get it ASAP. It won't turn your contractor's saw in to a Felder 700 series, but it is the difference between using a mallet and prayers to align your saw and using a hex wrench while watching the .001"s tick off your new dial indicator. For $20, I can't imagine a better investment.

HTH

Jim O'Dell
07-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Well, I'll be the first to recommend Lee Valley. Seems like it was about 35.00 2 years ago including magnetic base. GREAT Company to deal with also. Jim.

Mike Gager
07-09-2009, 10:42 AM
gotta go with the HF DI as well.

Lee Schierer
07-09-2009, 11:32 AM
One more vote here for the HF dial indicator. Unless you plan on earning a living with your dial indicator, for a one time or once a year use for aligning a table saw the HF dial is the perfect tool for the job. Spending $100+ for a single use tool seems like a waste of tool buying dollars to me. If I spend $20 on the HF dial then I would still have $80 to spend on a new saw blade or couple of router bits. If its on sale for $9.99 when I get there then I would have enough left over to buy lunch on the way home.

You don't need a NBS certified dial indicator to tune a table saw. If you get the saw aligned within .001 it will be plenty good enough for woodworking.