PDA

View Full Version : Norms garage workshop...

Donnie Raines
08-30-2004, 10:48 AM
Did you happen to catch Norms little comment during the last episode?? He was squareing the cabinet(measuring from corner to corner...) when one read 39 inchs....and the other said 39 1/4.

he says...."close enough for me"......

...sounds like something I would say.... :D :rolleyes:

Keith Starosta
08-30-2004, 12:34 PM
I'm surprised he made that comment. 1/4" when making a cabinet seems like enough to make the doors hang strangly....IMHO, anyway. :D

Keith

Dennis Peacock
08-30-2004, 12:39 PM
That's odd. I at least try to get mine square within about 1/16th or less. I got one out of square one time that, after everything set up, was 1/4" out of square and boy was it ever fun trying to get the doors lined up!!! :eek:

Donnie Raines
08-30-2004, 1:22 PM
..well.....maybe I got the numbers off a bit( :cool: )....but it was not the normal "everything perfect the first time" routine..... :rolleyes:

Michael Perata
08-30-2004, 10:06 PM
Never liked the corner to corner test as the final measurement.

If two opposite sides are 36" and the other two opposite sides are 24" and 23", then you'll get equal measurements, yet you won't have a rectangular box.

Bruce Page
08-30-2004, 10:57 PM
Never liked the corner to corner test as the final measurement.

If two opposite sides are 36" and the other two opposite sides are 24" and 23", then you'll get equal measurements, yet you won't have a rectangular box.Michael, FWIW, when I measure across the box that you describe, I come up with over ½” difference in the measurements. This is assuming that three sides of the box are square.

Aaron Koehl
08-31-2004, 8:28 AM
I'm wondering when he's gonna say, "Yeah, I learned this from my friends at SawmillCreek.." :D

Todd Burch
08-31-2004, 8:39 AM
Keith, that's what block planes are for!!! And BOY DO I KNOW HOW TO USE THEM!!!

Life is too short to make square cabinets. My wisdom for today. Todd

Jason Roehl
08-31-2004, 10:16 AM
Michael, FWIW, when I measure across the box that you describe, I come up with over ½” difference in the measurements. This is assuming that three sides of the box are square.
I believe Michael is describing a regular trapezoidal shape (two parallel sides and two pairs of equal angles), so that three sides are NOT square, in which case he would be right that it would not be square with equal corner-to-corner measurements. However, I would think that one would start with two pairs of equal sides, THEN apply the corner measurement technique, which would then accurately assess squareness.