PDA

View Full Version : Need tips on buying a table saw at an auction

Drew Sanderson
07-08-2009, 8:09 AM
I am planning on going to an auction next week where there are 8 table saws being auctioned off from a cabinet shop. I am interested in two of them.

What tips do you all have. I have never participated in an auction.

I think I will at the least need to buy a dial indicator to test the arbor during the inspection time. Do they allow such activity typically?

Any and all advise would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Drew

Scott T Smith
07-08-2009, 8:34 AM
Drew, when I've purchased machinery like this, in addition to checking the blade for runout and putting some test boards through it, my most successful method has been to locate some of the employees from the shop and ask them which saws they felt were the best. If possible, as them to rank the saws from best to worst so that you can have options in case the price on the "best" one goes above your budget.

Slip them a few bucks for the advice and everybody's happy.

Nate Carey
07-08-2009, 8:52 AM
Drew, auctions are great fun. During my 45 years of woodworking I have purchased many good machines at auction (and made a few purchases I wish I hadn't)...

1. bring inspection tools you think may be useful.
2. ask any and all questions you can think of.
3. make notes on the auction catalog as to what items you're interested in...pros and cons, etc.
4. establish your absolute maximum bid on each item you want; keep that info to yourself...and in the heat of the bidding, do not exceed your established maximum.

...and if there's a "buyer's premium" (usually a percentage of the bid price) don't forget to include that in your established maximum!!!

Quinn McCarthy
07-08-2009, 9:04 AM
Listen to Nate and you will do fine.

Especially #4

I saw a delta jointer one time at an auction go for more than I could buy it for new. I just couldn't believe it.

HTH

Quinn

Frank Trinkle
07-08-2009, 9:28 AM
Generally at live auctions, there is a display/inspection period before the auction starts to do your measurements, or get touchy/feely with what is going up on the block.

You may even be able to go in to the auction location a day or two earlier to inspect the equipment.

Many auctions have power available for testing electrical items before bidding.

(One of my backup occupations in case I ever lose my flight physical for flying every year is Licensed Auctioneer)

Jeff Duncan
07-08-2009, 10:15 AM
I generally give machines a quick once over. You have to keep in mind that the machines may have been used pretty hard and if your talking about smaller saws (like a Unisaw for instance), arbors and bearings are pretty cheap to replace anyway. So using a dial indicator may not be all that necessary.
Things you'll want to be more focused on are broken or missing parts/castings. Overall condition, has it been modified, painted, or other? And then as others have said decide what you want to spend beforehand and stick to it. You didn't say what type of saw your going to be bidding on but if it is a Unisaw (very common at auctions) remember that these are not rare on the used market where you can turn one on and check it out thoroughly, and so should go very cheaply at auction where it's "as is".
good luck,
JeffD

Chip Lindley
07-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Good Information above on live auctions! Get there Early to inspect! Once bidding starts, things move very FAST! *Auctioneer-talk* is hard to understand until you have been to a few auctions. Pay attention during auctions before your items come up for bid. You will get the hang of it! If you are unsure of what the current BID is, Ask outloud!! Don't be SHY!

--Decide your TOP DOLLAR for each item of interest
--Assume a *determined* demeanor during bidding
--Keep your eyes on the Auctioneer during bidding
--Don't raise your own BID! LOL

Once upon a time I attended an auction where the only woodworking item was a Powermatic 26 spindle shaper. I waited around half a day for the shaper to come up. The bidding opened at $100. Somebody quickly bid. I bid $125..... The auctioneer tried his best to get the crowd to raise the bid! He was in a frothing frenzy! He yelled at me...$150?? I shook my head *NO!* and smiled! He tried to get me to raise my own bid!! After a small breathless Eternity, continuing to stare seriously at the auctioneer, finally he yelled,*SOLD! $125!* Probably my best GLOAT ever!!