PDA

View Full Version : Finish suitable for washing and disinfecting?

Porter Bassett
07-08-2009, 3:11 AM
A physical therapist has asked me to make him some massage-like tools for him out of wood. Shaping the wood is no problem, but I'm concerned about what protective finish I should apply.

You see, after each use, they'll be washed with soap and water and wiped down with a disinfectant wipe.

Would a polyurethane finish hold up to this kind of treatment? Would lacquer? Is there some other plastic-like coating that would be better for this application?

Todd Carpenter
07-08-2009, 5:42 AM
Two part epoxy pour coat might hold up - you'll probably need to dip not pour.

Might be better to see he'd let you make it out of corian or a similar plastic instead of wood...

Jamie Buxton
07-08-2009, 10:00 AM
A good varnish should do the job, as long as the water and disinfectant are applied and then removed soon -- y'know, wipe-on and wipe-off. It is long soaking that will likely do damage.

Porter Bassett
07-08-2009, 11:08 AM
I considered making it out of plastic or Corian, but I don't really have a good source for either.

That's a good point about it being removed from the harsh conditions soon -- what I've described isn't any worse than a typical table-top endures.

Although I now realize that while they're being used, they'll probably be slathered up with some sort of massage oil. Does that create any pitfalls that I could fall into?

Steve Kohn
07-08-2009, 1:07 PM
Why apply any finish at all, especially if they will oiled?

Cutting boards from wood go thru similiar treatment.

Stephen Musial
07-08-2009, 1:18 PM
Staph, HIV, or other contaminates are all possibilities. I'd stay away from wood - there's a reason medical equipment is made from impervious material.

Porter Bassett
07-08-2009, 2:55 PM
Why apply any finish at all, especially if they will oiled?Because he wants it completely non-porous.

I'd stay away from wood - there's a reason medical equipment is made from impervious material.Maybe you're right. Now I need to find a place to buy plastic...

Howard Acheson
07-08-2009, 6:19 PM
I would suggest you be very careful. Sounds like the type of thing that could lead to problems and litigation.

That said, the most protective finish is an oil based varnish or poly varnish. I would make up a sample board and test the cleaners out on the finish to ensure that the chemicals will not harm it.

An option is a brushed on slow set, two part epoxy.

Jamie Buxton
07-08-2009, 10:50 PM
... Now I need to find a place to buy plastic...

Hmmm... Maybe you should check with the customer about plastic. Around here (okay, I'm in California), massage types value organic stuff. They'd like wood, and dislike plastic.