PDA

View Full Version : Power Tool Forum

Cody Colston
07-08-2009, 1:14 AM
I realize that SMC has a lot of separate forums but has anyone given thought to separating "Power Tools" from the "General Woodworking" forum?

IIRC, Power Tools was added to the General Woodworking title when someone complained about Hand Tool posts showing up in there. Since there was already a separate Hand Tool forum, the title was changed to "General Woodworking and Power Tools."

I realize woodworking power tools is a very popular topic, especially among the tool collectors here, but the actual process of working with wood is what actually drives the forum as an entity and I feel that it is getting buried in the avalanche of power tool topics.

I counted 25 topics on the front page (not counting sticky's) and 17 of them were about power tools...buying, selling, repairing, evaluating, etc. The only surprising thing was that I don't believe there was a single Festool or Sawstop thread on the entire page, which may be an SMC first. :D

Anyway, I have been thinking about this and thought I would bring it up for consideration among the powers-that-be.

Cheers,

Billy Chambless
07-08-2009, 6:09 PM
I agree. Hand tools and power tools are each part of how we do woodworking. I think some newbies get the false impression that it's an either/or thing.

Jim Becker
07-09-2009, 9:46 PM
It is unlikely that this will happen...we've already broken out a lot of things that were previously in GW&PT. It's hard enough to manage what we have now and creating another forum just adds to the work load. Remember, your moderators are un-paid and can only be three places at once... ;)

Jim
SMC Moderator

Ken Fitzgerald
07-09-2009, 11:25 PM
It is unlikely that this will happen...we've already broken out a lot of things that were previously in GW&PT. It's hard enough to manage what we have now and creating another forum just adds to the work load. Remember, your moderators are un-paid and can only be three places at once... ;)

Jim
SMC Moderator

Us older folks can only manage 2 places at once.:p

Keith Outten
07-10-2009, 5:47 AM
Cody,

We have a Woodworking Projects Forum. Projects can be as simple as a simple jig or fixture, they don't have to be large projects to be in this Forum. If I understand your question/concern its that woodworking topics are getting burried in the GWW&PT Forum.

Many people post in the GWW&PT Forum because it is the big gun, gets them the most exposure. We move a lot of threads to other forums in an effort to reduce the size and spread out the information the best we can. I can rename the Woodworking Projects Forum to something else if everyone thinks it will help.

Jim Becker
07-10-2009, 3:09 PM
Keith, for the record, I like the Woodworking Projects Forum being like it is...displaying finished projects or sometimes, project pictorials, as the case may be. I move "questions" type things "from" the WWPF to other places...mostly GW&PT...to keep it clean as the go-to place for projects, no matter whether they were created with tails or tail-less tools.

Cody Colston
07-14-2009, 6:47 AM
Remember, your moderators are un-paid and can only be three places at once... ;)

Someone cue the violin music. :rolleyes: This site has more moderators than some sites have members.

FWIW, I don't want "Woodworking Projects" changed, either, although I think placing it in "General Woodworking" and separating out "Power Tools" would make more sense.

Anyway, it was simply a suggestion that obviously does not churn anyone else's butter. Thanks for the responses.