PDA

View Full Version : Been a busy week of building

Chuck Isaacson
07-07-2009, 11:31 PM
So i have the new shop is semi-running shape. I have all of these new tools that need places to go. The first thing on my list was to get a mobile stand under my new Dewalt 735 planer, which is by the way, absolutely freaking sweet!!!! I made a big old pile of dust with it today, but anyways... I needed some materials for this stuff and I just happened to look on craigslist for some plywood and ended up getting 2 sheets of 3/4" and 2 sheets of 1/4" for $55. One of the sheets of 3/4" was really good and the other was crap. But they both worked for what I made of them. I got to building, and made a nice little cart for the planer, an auxilary fence that is sacrificial on one side and is high on the other (sorry I dont have a pic of this yet). Then I made a mobile base for my 12" Grizzly Baby Drum Sander. I plan on putting drawers in both of the stand, but that will be later down the road. So I got those built last week.

This leads me to my little gloat.. The guy that I got the plywood from had stacks of lumber sitting out in front of his gargae. I mean he had tons, and I thought this was funn because he lived in the missle of town. But anyway, he had some that he said got infected with bettles of some sort and he wanted to get rid of it for cheap. Me and my father-in-law went to go take a look at it and I snagged a pile of red oak with some white oak mixed in with it for $50. It is all rough sawn but it is all dry and ready to work with. He also through in a nice board of cherry. I have been going through it a little and have found a few nice boards of quarter-sawn and some rift-sawn that if were sold in a store would have cost me as much as the whole pile. I think that I made out. Some of it does have damage from the bug, but I am just going to use this to build all of my shop furniture. It will be used to frame out all of my windows and trim for my cabinets and my cabinets.
Which lead me to my cabinets. There is a first for everything and this is my first cabinet case with a red oak face frame. I got some 5ply 3/4" red oak B2 plywood at Menards for $50 a sheet. This stuff is really good stuff too. It actually measures 3/4". I have only found just a couple of voids but nothing to worry about. It stayed pretty straight for me too. I designed them myself and they are built for a 30" coutertop. This is going to be the perfect height for me. I am going to be using 1/2" MDF covered up with 1/4" hardboard for the countertop. This has been a great project to break in my new Kreg K3 Master system. I used pocket holes to build the face frame and also to secure it to the carcass. Work out real nice. I plan on making all of the doors from the oak as well. Should be fun. I will try to keep the pics coming. I plan on starting on a new router table soon. THe one from the new issue of WOOD Magazine.

John Keeton
07-08-2009, 6:17 AM
Chuck, nice score on the wood, and great job on the cabinet build. At this rate, you will have that new shop fully equipped in no time!

Von Bickley
07-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Chuck,

Everything is looking GOOD........ :)

Rob Wright
07-08-2009, 5:25 PM
Chuck - Nice score!

Did you get that baby grizzly sander on Craigslist too?

Peter Quinn
07-08-2009, 5:35 PM
Nice work Chuck. Looking good. One thing I did notice is that the grain on your plywood bottoms of the carcasses is running the wrong direction. Not that this makes any difference structurally, but visually it is more typical to run all the grain in the same direction, with the long grain running from left to right, as if it were solid wood. Enjoy those tools!

Mike Cruz
07-08-2009, 5:49 PM
I know how you feel...got the shop thiiiiiiiiiiiiis close. Congrats. Just make sure you finish it up. Sounds like there's nothing that'll get in your way!

I have to agree with Peter about grain direction, but you were probably using the stock you had..."making" it fit. Running the grain the other way may have meant buying another sheet of ply. Am I close?

Ken Fitzgerald
07-08-2009, 6:13 PM
Go Chuck go! Sure is taking shape quickly. Nicely done first cabinet.

Chuck Isaacson
07-08-2009, 6:49 PM
Nice work Chuck. Looking good. One thing I did notice is that the grain on your plywood bottoms of the carcasses is running the wrong direction. Not that this makes any difference structurally, but visually it is more typical to run all the grain in the same direction, with the long grain running from left to right, as if it were solid wood. Enjoy those tools!

I have to agree with Peter about grain direction, but you were probably using the stock you had..."making" it fit. Running the grain the other way may have meant buying another sheet of ply. Am I close?

Really I did even think about it. I just cut what I needed to get the job done. But now that I think about it I dont know if I would have had enough. I will have to take a look at that in the next one. But like you are really going to notice. It will have doors on it and like I need to keep telling myself, "It is shop furniture!" I also screwed the back and the bottom in through the sides. I really didn't want to but I wasn't really sure how I should fasten it together. I was thinking of just glue and brads, but I wanted it to be pretty sturdy. What do you guys think?

Chuck

Mike Cruz
07-08-2009, 9:27 PM
Don't underestimate (or misunderestimate as a "wise" man once said) the power of a good glue joint. The words of wisdom that my old boss used to use were, "the screws are only there 'til the glue dries".