PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Wood Clamps

Benjamin Barril
07-07-2009, 10:58 PM
O great neanders I once more need some sage advice. I recently got some Jorgenson wood clamps on eBay. The metal was a bit rusty that I took care of with steel wool and WD40. How do I finish the wood section? They are very clean without any tears or dings. Sand? Polish? Shellac?:confused:

Bill Houghton
07-07-2009, 11:02 PM
I think they come from the factory finished with some sealant or other. I don't know that you need much of anything, but I wouldn't use anything that would make them slick, and I wouldn't spend a lot of time on it (though that may be just me - I don't think pickup trucks should be shiny, either) - shellac or Watco, whichever you happen to have conveniently around.

You mainly need a sealant just to encourage glue not to stick.

David Keller NC
07-08-2009, 10:25 AM
I bought a number of Jorgensen's traditional cabinetmaker's clamps new from the store about 15 years ago before the flood of imports (not sure if Jorgensen still makes these). They didn't have any finish on them, and I'm going to suggest that you don't put anything on them either, particularly on the grip surface.

These clamps, more so than pipe clamps or Besseys, depend in part on friction to keep them holding firm on your workpiece. They will probably still work with a film finish or BLO on them, but probably not as well. It's basically the same reason not to put a finish on the top of a workbench that you intend for handtool work - the workpieces tend to slide around.

If you wish to put some sort of finish on them anyway, I'd go for one that's very easily reversible in case you decide you don't like the result - shellac. If you oil them, you will have to soak them in a bath of mineral spirits for some time to completely remove the oil from the wood.

michael osadchuk
07-13-2009, 12:12 AM
I bought some unfinished "Jorgensen" knockoffs a dozen years ago and finished the wood with several wiped on coats of thinned polyurethane, just to prevent glue and other stuff sticking/marking the surface; seems to have worked well without the jaw gripping surfaces being slippery.....I don't think the type of finish is critical (except for paint/smiley)

good luck

michael

george wilson
07-14-2009, 8:46 AM
My Jorgensons always came with oil in them,which never dries,and gets onto the wood you are gluing. I suggest shellac to seal in this oil,and help keep glue from sticking.

Have they stopped oiling their handscrews? I haven't bought any in quite a few years.