PDA

View Full Version : Something a little different (I hope)

Brian Weaver
07-07-2009, 10:23 PM
I have been lurking and learning here for awhile now, and will say this is my favorite turning forum. I check in several times a day (don't tell my boss) to see whats new. I have been turning for a little over 2 years now and it has certainly sucked me in. Anyway the bike I finished the other day its about 10" x 6". The "bug" I did a couple months ago comments and critiques welcome, sorry about the pics.

Ryan Baker
07-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Very cool! Bonus points for originality!

Steve Schlumpf
07-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Brian - Welcome to the Creek! Have to admit I have not seen a turned bike before! That is cool! The ant is great! Love the fact that there are 4 hidden boxes within it! Really imaginative stuff here! Very nice!

If you like bugs - be sure to check out Curt Fuller's work as he has turned a few spiders that are amazing!

Brian Weaver
07-07-2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the comments! I have to admit it was probably one of Curts spiders that gave me the idea for the ant. The bike was an idea that popped into my head one morning as I was waking up, no idea why!

John W Dixon
07-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Brian, that is really great stuff! Always fun to see something new that makes you say Wow! Fantastic job on both!

John

Chris Rae
07-08-2009, 1:13 AM
Very cool! I like them both, nice job and very imaginative!

Malcolm Tibbetts
07-08-2009, 1:29 AM
Brian, I particularly like your ant. I have a friend that did a "life size' bike a few years ago. It was detailed right down to the individual links in the chain. It was quite a masterpiece.

alex carey
07-08-2009, 1:45 AM
I love the originality, very cool stuff. I've seen bugs but I definitely have never seen a bike, nice job and welcome to the forum.

Rick Flink
07-08-2009, 2:32 AM
You should see that ant up close and personal like I have. It is fantastic! Brian has great imagination, and I learn lots everytime I get to watch him turn. :)

Rick Flink

Jeff Nicol
07-08-2009, 7:04 AM
Brian, It is wonderful to have you here on SMC! Your imagination and skills as a turner will be much appreciated by us all! Thanks for sharing and you have given me yet more to try and do! Great ant and the bike is just neat! I do miniatures and I think something like that would sell in the 1/12 scale. Keep the good stuff coming!

Jeff

David Dockstader
07-08-2009, 9:56 AM
I have two great loves (if you don't count the LOML), biking and woodworking. The bike is terrific. I want to try one, but I just realized the real trick would be doing dropped handlebars. Since you're the creative one, any idea how I could turn them?

Bernie Weishapl
07-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Very cool and imaginative. Welcome to SMC.

Don Orr
07-08-2009, 12:35 PM
It's one thing to have an idea-it's entirely another thing to actually pull it off ! Great job on both pieces.

And I won't tell your boss if you don't tell mine.:eek::D;)

Brian Weaver
07-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Again thanks to everyone for the great comments! Malcom, I was also thinking of doing a full size bike but I am going to have to stock up on some bigger material first :). Thanks for the backup Rick! Looking forward to the next meeting also hope to see you at the fair. David, drop handle bars would be a bit of a head scratcher, you could try turning a small doughnut shape and then split it in half. Someone else may have a better idea though.

Brian

Jarrod McGehee
07-08-2009, 2:57 PM
the bug is really cool. I like the little trinket boxes that it opens to.