PDA

View Full Version : Report from the Rob Cosman class

John Keeton
07-07-2009, 8:56 PM
Got some updates from Gary Zimmel on our very own attendees at the Rob Cosman class this week! They were at it for 13 hours yesterday and headed toward another 13 hour day today. Yesterday was sharpening day, with today spent doing saw exercises and chisel practice.

Tomorrow is the BIG DAY - virgin voyage for handcut dovetails!

Here are some pics - emailed from Gary's phone. Hopefully, there are more pics that can be posted in a followup thread later.
Jim Barrett hard at it - note the concentration level:D
And Gary Benson working on his stance;)
Here is the class pic - they look pretty attentive
And here is Rob making a point to the class

Hopefully, Gary gets some more pics tomorrow and I will update the thread. Wish I was there!!:(

Gary Benson
07-07-2009, 9:15 PM
Wow, what a class! The initiation was tough, but since my teeth are sharp, I was able to knaw a pretty clean dovetail socket. Thankfully, they do have some pants that I was able to buy here in Calgary, and avoided any major scandal.
John, you really should have joined Jim, Gary and I this week. Lots to learn,
Later,
Gary

Jim Barrett
07-07-2009, 9:19 PM
The class has been great! We are getting tons of hands on experience and Rob has lots of little tips that you won't read anywhere...maybe we will share them with you'all...:o
We are getting ready to tackle shooting boards...
Will have some more pics tomorrow...

Jim

Mark Carlson
07-07-2009, 9:53 PM
I just started watching his dovetail videos. I wish I was there.

~mark

Russ Massery
07-07-2009, 10:03 PM
John, Thanks for the thread.

Gary Z, Thanks for the pictures.

Gary B, and Jim you both suck :D

I officially have seminar Envy now, I too wish I was there.

Thanks guys, keep us posted on your progress.

Jacob Mac
07-08-2009, 10:17 AM
I just got Rob's saw and his videos. I really wish I was there learning from him. Maybe next time.

Oh, and eveyone there sucks.

John Keeton
07-08-2009, 7:32 PM
Gary Z sent more pics of our soon to be Cosman graduates! Thought you guys would enjoy an update.

Today the guys learned to flatten and true a board all six sides. Here is a pic of Gary B. working on his second side (actually the board's second side - not his ;))

And here is Jim using his scrub plane to flatten the first side of his board.

Rob showed the guys the process for dimensioning a piece of wood.

A very attentive bunch. One thing is for sure, they all agree Rob makes it look a lot easier than it actually is!

Lots of table saws in the shop, but they are "off limits." This is a hand tool course. Panels saws are the flavor of the day.

Gary B has his board dimensioned, and Rob checks it for square and flatness. Then uses a micrometer to check for thickness. Gary was only eight thou out from having a perfectly flat board. Great job Gary:cool:.

Saw practice is done, and all students have become proficient with their chisels and fret saws. After supper it wll be time to do those first complete dovetails. It's going to be a late night, probably a 15 hour day in the shop today.

Al Navas
07-08-2009, 9:47 PM
John,

I almost missed this thread - thanks for posting! It is an intensive course, from the looks of things. But I am sure everyone will be happy, content, and feeling good when it is all over and they can digest what took place. Some of the photos bring back memories of Drill Sergeant with his troops..

John Keeton
07-09-2009, 7:09 AM
The guys are hitting it hard and staying the course! Although he has done handcut dovetails before, this is Gary B. and his first Cosman dovetail. He certainly is proud of this one - with good reason!! I don't care who you are, THAT is a great looking set of dovetails;)
Gary Z reports that the confidence in sawing and chiseling gained by the students is phenomenal and contributes greatly to their increased level of competency. Big difference in agonizing over each cut versus it just coming naturally.

John Keeton
07-09-2009, 4:26 PM
Just got an update from Gary Benson. His words are probably the best description "My first set of half blinds at the course. Amazing amount of learning in a short period of time. Intense to say the least."

And, here is the proof -

Folks, those are some beautiful halfblinds!! Straight out of a textbook - or in this case, straight out of the Rob Cosman shopbook:D

These guys are going to have a lot of stories to tell when they get back. Hope they are taking notes, and can share a bunch of this stuff with us.

gary Zimmel
07-09-2009, 6:50 PM
Sweet looking half blind Gary. Real sweet!

I had a great two days down at Robs course.
And even got to have my first Creeker visit.
Was great to spend some time with Jim B. and Gary B.

Yesterday I left after 15 1/2 hours in the shop. None of the students had left by 10:30 at night...
I had a 3 1/2 hour drive home so it was a real late night, and early morning. But would not of missed it for the world.
Would of loved to of stayed for one more day but work sometimes gets in the way.

Even picked up a couple of more things to help me with my dovetails.
I am always amazed watching Rob teach. Even with woodworkers at different levels everyone comes away with a ton of practical experience.
I'm thinking this class is going to get close to 70 shop hours in 5 days.
Very intense...

Can't wait to see the up coming posts from Calgary

Jim Barrett
07-10-2009, 1:47 AM
Gary,
It was great to meet and spend time with you...and thanks for the tips you shared with us....
Gary B has become the dovetail expert in our class..he is knocking out dovetails left and right...I am amazed at how fast and the quality of his dovetails. Wait till you see the hounds tooth dovetails he did tonight....amazing!

Jim

Roy Wall
07-10-2009, 9:36 AM
Gary Z reports that the confidence in sawing and chiseling gained by the students is phenomenal and contributes greatly to their increased level of competency. Big difference in agonizing over each cut versus it just coming naturally.

That's a great point to make.......I still agonize.....Just let go, and let happen...right?

Guys - please give us all your pointers from this class, it looked terrific!!

Rick Erickson
07-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Argh! I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread. I so much wish I could have been there. It looks like you guys had a blast. Someone please post some more pictures so I can live vicariously through them.

John Keeton
07-13-2009, 6:17 AM
Rick, after Gary Z had to leave, I think the guys are too busy to take pics and email them to me! Haven't heard much from them, but hopefully they will join in on this thread when they return and update us.

Gary Benson
07-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Guys,
I have lots of pictures and stories to tell. I have been trying to get some sleep and get caught up (you know, back to reality). Let me just say, if you want to dramatically improve your hand tool skills, no matter your starting abilities or experience, you should take this class. Rob and Duncan are both kind caring individuals with an tremendous amount of knowledge and skill, but best of all their experience teaching means that they know what mistake you are making before you even make it. They were able to improve every aspect of my technique quickly and easily. I was able to cut these joints prior the class based on watching Rob's DVD's, but now I KNOW how to do it, quickly, accurately, with confidence, and no test fitting! I am still excited about having taken the class and cut several joints as I was unpacking my tools. I will take an advanced course with Rob next year if my schedule will allow.
Plenty of pics to follow,
Gary