PDA

View Full Version : Shell carving on Queen Anne Chest

Greg Schwieterman
07-07-2009, 8:36 PM
Has anyone used their CNC to carve a shell like the ones typically found on the bottom drawer of a high boy or Queen Anne Chest? I am just about to finish building a Queen Anne Chest on Frame and would like to carve the shell ( sometimes referred to as a fan) on the bottom drawer front. This project has really turned out well and I think the shell would be the finishing touch.:)

Guy Mathews
07-07-2009, 9:07 PM
I can post photos of such a leg tomorrow. You can do just about anything with your CNC if you have decent software and understanding of the tool itself.

James Jaragosky
07-08-2009, 1:02 AM
Has anyone used their CNC to carve a shell like the ones typically found on the bottom drawer of a high boy or Queen Anne Chest? I am just about to finish building a Queen Anne Chest on Frame and would like to carve the shell ( sometimes referred to as a fan) on the bottom drawer front. This project has really turned out well and I think the shell would be the finishing touch.:)

This is a fairly easy straight forward project. It will be much easier to do before the drawer is assembled. Another consideration is how proud or recessed you want the relief. This will be a necessary measurement to have before starting the drawer face.
Regards
Jim J.

Guy Mathews
07-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Greg,

Sorry I misread your post. Saw Queen Anne and just assumed the various styles of legs we produce. Queen Anne, Ball and Claw, Cabriole and numerous others.

Anyway, here is a photo of two legs with two very different shell styles. The hardest thing is to make them appear carved using your CNC. Doing CNC work on the legs will be much more difficult then doing the drawer fronts. You should have no problem making a very nice shell carving with you current setup.

The software and hardware I use is very expensive. I know for a fact that some of the newer stuff on the market like Aspire will give you the results you are looking for but may not allow you to match a customer sample perfectly for instance.

Both of these legs are produced on our 10 spindle CNC machine and were scanned using the Polhemus Fastscan.

Good luck with your project and don't forget to show us the finished results!

Greg Schwieterman
07-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Wow those are really nice looking legs! What I 'm interested in though is a shell on the face of the drawer front. The drawer front is 30" wide and 10" tall and 5/8" thick cherry. I was thinking about a fan 6" or 8"wide and 1/4 or 5/16" deep carved into the drawer front. Thanks

James Jaragosky
07-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Wow those are really nice looking legs! What I 'm interested in though is a shell on the face of the drawer front. The drawer front is 30" wide and 10" tall and 5/8" thick cherry. I was thinking about a fan 6" or 8"wide and 1/4 or 5/16" deep carved into the drawer front. Thanks
Is this something like what you are talking about?
The applique is 15.5 long 7.9 high and .3 deep

james mcgrew
07-09-2009, 7:16 PM
aspire scallopped shell

jim

Greg Schwieterman
07-13-2009, 8:09 PM
Is this something like what you are talking about?
The applique is 15.5 long 7.9 high and .3 deep

I was thinking of something like these photos. My bottom drawer is approx 32' wide and 10 1/2" tall. I'm thinking hardware on both sides like the ones shown and the fan centered in the middle. Thanks

Greg Schwieterman
07-13-2009, 8:24 PM
Greg,

Sorry I misread your post. Saw Queen Anne and just assumed the various styles of legs we produce. Queen Anne, Ball and Claw, Cabriole and numerous others.

Anyway, here is a photo of two legs with two very different shell styles. The hardest thing is to make them appear carved using your CNC. Doing CNC work on the legs will be much more difficult then doing the drawer fronts. You should have no problem making a very nice shell carving with you current setup.

The software and hardware I use is very expensive. I know for a fact that some of the newer stuff on the market like Aspire will give you the results you are looking for but may not allow you to match a customer sample perfectly for instance.

Both of these legs are produced on our 10 spindle CNC machine and were scanned using the Polhemus Fastscan.

Good luck with your project and don't forget to show us the finished results!

Not sure if this the proper place to post pics but this the chest as it stands to date. I'm hoping to come up with something to put the fan on the bottom drawer short of learning to carve them by hand. I am already 6 months into this project!

Guy Mathews
07-14-2009, 1:29 PM

Greg,

First off, NIIIIIICCCCCCEEEEEE!!! The project looks great.

Second, do you have a CNC Machine and have you done any carving on it?

If so, the fan you want is already halfway done provided you have some adequate tooling!

If drawing it is the problem because you do not have software and you do not have a CNC machine, myself or a few other members here can probably help you out on that end.

The first step is to find a design or a photo you like and then have reproduced in CAD software. If you can't do it there, contact someone to do it for you. Both Jims on the forum have posted some nice ones that they did with Aspire. If you want to match a design nearly exact to the photo I can do that for you on my end.

The second step is to generate tool paths.

The third step is to run a test piece on something cheap!

The fourth step is to mill the actual material using the same program that proofed the model, provided it came out okay.

The fifth step is to sand, finish and admire your work.

Talk to me and let me know how we can help, just PM me or email.

The project looks great! Can't wait to see it finished.

Guy

james mcgrew
07-21-2009, 8:05 PM
i used this chance to test myself abit on aspire and with a little bit more work i believe i could get it

jim

Greg Schwieterman
07-27-2009, 9:27 PM
That looks close to what I am looking for. One of the other members has already offered to make one for me. If it doesn't work out I will let you know. Thank-you

james mcgrew
07-27-2009, 10:05 PM
hang i appreciate the lead to try something new, got a job today to reproduce some historical ornament in a local cathedral, the negative mold practice was on time!!

jim