PDA

View Full Version : New Jointer Dilemma: parallelogram vs gib/way

Dirk Lewis
07-07-2009, 7:26 PM
I'm upgrading my jointer finally and have narrowed it down to a very good deal on an old school General Canada 480 8" jointer with the gibs/ways bed adjustments, or something like the Delta DJ20 with the parallelogram bed adjustment.

I like the burly build of the General, but I can get a "lighter" built parellogram type jointer with shelix head for about the same price.

Any strong reason to go with one over the other? the general is a lifetime jointer...

any suggestions, comments, smartass remarks, or deep thoughts would be appreciated :)

Thanks,
Dirk

glenn bradley
07-07-2009, 7:44 PM
P-beds were one of my requirements when looking. I like the consistent head to table gap. An 8" spiral head was another must have. Plenty of power was yet another. I got the G0490X which is pretty much a DJ20 with double the HP and a spiral head for $700 less than Delta's knifed "X" machine. General makes some very fine tools and that makes it a tough decision but, other things being equal the spiral head would do it for me; smooth and quiet.

Chuck Wintle
07-07-2009, 7:49 PM
i would go for either one, The general is a very good machine and once adjusted never needs to be touched again and the same goes for the delta. A hard choice as both machines are very good. :D

Dirk Lewis
07-07-2009, 9:14 PM
Thanks for the input guys.
Still a tough call for me...

Jim Foster
07-07-2009, 9:55 PM
I've been looking at the Powermatic 8" with the parallel tables and the Shelix head. Not familiar with the General other than the good name. Pretty familiar with Delta. Good luck with your choice.

Thanks for the input guys.
Still a tough call for me...

Barry Vabeach
07-07-2009, 10:42 PM
Dirk, for about the same price, it would be a no brainer to me - get the shelix . Even if the cut is not any smoother ( and it may not be ) you have in essence 3 extra sets of carbide knives - assuming that the inserts are carbide and only the first side has been used, so the cost savings in sharpening is fairly big, plus you won't ever have to set knives. Now I don't mind setting knives that much, but if you don't have to set at all, versus you have to set them on the General, to me that is a clear winner to the shelix.

Simon Dupay
07-07-2009, 11:52 PM
The General, the DJ-20 is so overrated.

Frank Drew
07-08-2009, 12:48 AM
I think a very strong argument can be made that some of the new cutter technologies mark significant improvements over straight knives; I don't think the case for parallelogram vs inclined ways is anything like so convincing -- there are great machines made in both styles.

Dirk Lewis
07-08-2009, 12:54 AM
Thanks again for chiming in guys.

I'm leaning towards the General, made in NA, "old iron" style of jointer that I can add a shelix head to a later date. Best of both worlds?

Dirk

Philip Johnson
07-08-2009, 9:22 AM
I went round and round over which one liked the powermatic in the end I went with a shopfox/grizzly 12 inch with spiral head for about the same money. I could not be happier and smile everytime I have a 10 or 11 inch board to joint and wonder what I would have done with an 8 inch.

Jeff Duncan
07-08-2009, 10:05 AM
If this is for a hobby shop then both the Delta & General are going to last well over a lifetime so that's a moot point. Even in a pro shop both machines should give several lifetimes of use with proper care and maintenance., the Grizzly???
Parallel vs dovetailed ways, green vs gray, personal decision. I like the parallelogram as I find them quicker to adjust. If you don't adjust your infeed often it will probably also be a moot point.
At the end of the day both machines will do the same exact job day in and out, both will also retain they're value. Speaking from experience the Delta has more than enough power for anything your going to throw at it. Spiral heads are a nice luxury item but far from necessary. So the question is which do you like more, sounds like you like the General so.....;)
good luck,
JeffD

Fred Hargis
07-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks again for chiming in guys.

I'm leaning towards the General, made in NA, "old iron" style of jointer that I can add a shelix head to a later date. Best of both worlds?

Dirk
Absolutely....I just don't see enough advantage to the parallelogram in home shop use. I do, however, think the spiral would be worthwhile. Adding one later would be a good approach. But that's just me....

Rod Sheridan
07-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Hi Dirk, having recently sold a 480 I can tell you that it was a fine jointer, and like all General machines, a lifetime keeper.

I'd go with the General..........Regards, Rod.

Chip Lindley
07-08-2009, 10:44 AM
IF you are buying NEW, IMO, the Grizzly G0690 with Shelix head gives you most bang-for-the-buck, in an 8" jointer. The older style Grizzly 8" with dovetail ways is an even better value with a Shelix head. If you start out with flat, co-planar in- and outfeed tables on ANY jointer, you are good to go for life. 3HP on an 8" jointer is overkill, but many Chinese motors are not overly efficient or durable. Thusly, oversize pushes a cheap motor less.

That being said, a General or Delta machine will hold its resale value marginally better than a Grizzly. But, paradoxically, I acquired a pristine Delta DJ20 only because the Price Was Right! $675 with mobile stand, at auction. I'm not made outta $money$ and do not buy new machinery. I wait until a good used value comes along and Trade Up!

Shelix has its pros and cons. True that no knife-setting is required. True that carbide cuts longer than HSS. True, generally less tear-out in reverse or wild grain. But after all four carbide sides have been used, prepare for sticker shock to replace a whole set of inserts! AND, I do hope the same exact insert size is still available 10 Years down the road! IF NOT...hmm..!

Joe Jensen
07-08-2009, 1:28 PM
I owned a PM 8" dovetail way jointer for 18 years. I bought it new in 1990, and when I bought, the Delta parallelagram machine had just come out. The arguement about consistent gap between the cutterhead and table is only a safety thing, and only important if you are taking very large cuts. If you are going to use a Byrd style head, then you can't use the rabbiting ledge. If you aren't going to use the rabbiting ledge, will you ever have the cut set for more than say 1/8" ?

Dirk Lewis
07-08-2009, 6:41 PM
Good points. As for Grizzly, not an option in Canada, but the Steel City Industrial 8" was brought to my attention - 5yr warranty, can add Byrd head later if need be.

Too bad there is little used machinery around here, closest region would be 5 hr round trip away.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

D