PDA

View Full Version : CFM for 2HP HF DC

Bharat Badrinath
07-07-2009, 6:52 PM
Has anyone measured the true CFM rating for a 2HP HF DC? Harbor freight claims that it is 1600 CFM, but it takes in 14A@110V , mine has a 9.5" impeller, 5" inlet with a 4" hose...something doesnt give.

I looked at 2HP Grizzly and ShopFox models and they have 12" impellers, 6" inlet and draw 12A@220V and have a similar CFM rating as well.

I know you get what you pay for, but is the HF DC rating more like 600-800 CFM?

Leo Graywacz
07-07-2009, 7:14 PM
My Oneida 2 1/2 HP Cyclone develops 1440 CFM. I doubt the HF does 1600CFM unless it is through the blower unit unimpeded, no ducting, no filter, no nothing. As soon as you put it together and put some ductwork on it I'm sure it drops to around 800 CFM....and then the filter gets plugged :rolleyes:

Matt Armstrong
07-07-2009, 7:47 PM
Has anyone measured the true CFM rating for a 2HP HF DC? Harbor freight claims that it is 1600 CFM, but it takes in 14A@110V , mine has a 9.5" impeller, 5" inlet with a 4" hose...something doesnt give.

I looked at 2HP Grizzly and ShopFox models and they have 12" impellers, 6" inlet and draw 12A@220V and have a similar CFM rating as well.

I know you get what you pay for, but is the HF DC rating more like 600-800 CFM?

I'm pretty sure it's a weak draw based on the impeller size. My "hercules" dust collector is similarly sized and it doesnt' do much. I'm considering building my own cyclone but I probably need to produce some woodworking fruit first in order to justify it to LOML

David Hostetler
07-07-2009, 10:50 PM
While I am almost certain Harbor Freight overstates the CFM of their dust collectors, and nearly all manufacturers do... I am curious about the impeller size. How did you measure yours?

I just now came in from taking the cover off of mine, and measuring it on 4 different radii to make sure that I was measuring right. The high measurement was 5 3/8", the other 3 were 5 1/4" which means that I honestly most likely mismeasured the one... Taking the other 3 and figuring they are right that gives us 5 1/4" x 2 (diameter = radius x2) or 10.5" Smaller than I would have thought, but okay I can accept that.

I am somewhat curious if a source can be found for say 11.5" steel impellers for these... And would it be worth upgrading?

Mark Carlson
07-07-2009, 11:00 PM
This Wood magazine review shows what your likely to get CFM wise with 4in, 5in and 6in duct at various static pressures. It doesn't review the HF collector but it has most of 1 1/2 and 2hp single stage dust collectors.

If this review is accurate 1600 is bogus, 700-800 if you have the top performers (grizzly and delta) and downhill from there.

http://www.deltaportercable.com/uploads/PCD/Documents/News/182DustCollectors.pdf

(http://www.deltaportercable.com/uploads/PCD/Documents/News/182DustCollectors.pdf)~mark

James Baker SD
07-07-2009, 11:39 PM
It seems the Harbor Freight might be the top row of the table, listed as Central Machinery, at least its source for more info in the far right column is harborfreight.com

James

David Hostetler
07-08-2009, 10:42 AM
This Wood magazine review shows what your likely to get CFM wise with 4in, 5in and 6in duct at various static pressures. It doesn't review the HF collector but it has most of 1 1/2 and 2hp single stage dust collectors.

If this review is accurate 1600 is bogus, 700-800 if you have the top performers (grizzly and delta) and downhill from there.

http://www.deltaportercable.com/uploads/PCD/Documents/News/182DustCollectors.pdf

(http://www.deltaportercable.com/uploads/PCD/Documents/News/182DustCollectors.pdf)~mark

It DOES review the OLD model from Harbor Freight. The brand name is Central Machinery.

Bharat Badrinath
07-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the article and feedback guys. This explains why so much saw dust is left in the contractors saw. I am going to get this upgraded to a Grizzly or one of theother 2HP models with a 12" impeller.

David Hostetler
07-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the article and feedback guys. This explains why so much saw dust is left in the contractors saw. I am going to get this upgraded to a Grizzly or one of theother 2HP models with a 12" impeller.

Actually, no, it doesn't... Unless you are running a LOT of 4" pipe, you shouldn't have ANY dust left at the saw unless you have a problem with the dust hood at the saw. A properly set up shop vac can keep a contractor's saw clean...

David Romano
07-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Since the hp doesn't have alot to do with the CFM until the static pressures get high (lots of ductwork), the 2 important factors are the impeller size (and style) and the outlet diameter. My 2 hp Jet DC1200 has a backwards inclined 12" impeller, and a 6" outlet. That's essentially what you need to get the 1000+ cfms. Bill Pentz says that Jet publishes accurate fan performance curves, so I belive I am getting what they state. Bill has alot of good info on his site regarding this topic.

David

Bharat Badrinath
07-10-2009, 6:35 PM
Thanks. Just bought a Grizzly 1029Z for a steal off craigslist for $210 - see pic below. It is brand new, and the guy hadnt even unpacked the boxes fully. Hopefully that with a Wynn Cannister filter should improve performance significantly. Posted the HF DC on craigslist.

The only downside (if i can call it that) to my purchase today is that i also saw the other tools he was selling. They were all grizzly, never used/assembled fully. It is practically like buying it from Grizzly but only a lot cheaper. Got my eyes on a 8" jointer G1018 which even had the shipping paper on it for $450. Now thinking of ways to justify the purchase....If only i can fit it in my basement... :)