PDA

View Full Version : Segmented knife handle and ash hollow form

Tom Lewis
07-07-2009, 5:20 PM
Awhile back I purchased "The Art of Segmented Woodturning" by Malcom Tibbetts. It is an awesome book. It is one of the best I have ever read in explaining how to do something.
Anyway I got an idea from the book and decided to apply it to a knife handle. The handle is made of purple hart and maple.
The hollow form is ash.

Tim Boger
07-07-2009, 5:36 PM
Awhile back I purchased "The Art of Segmented Woodturning" by Malcom Tibbetts. It is an awesome book. It is one of the best I have ever read in explaining how to do something.
Anyway I got an idea from the book and decided to apply it to a knife handle. The handle is made of purple hart and maple.
The hollow form is ash.

I really like the knife handle and your thinking outside of the bowl ... so to speak.

Well done.

Tim

alex carey
07-07-2009, 5:52 PM
very nice job, love the knife.

Bernie Weishapl
07-07-2009, 6:05 PM
Great job on both. Love the knife handle.

David Christopher
07-07-2009, 6:18 PM
very good job for reading a book ( Im going to have to learn how to read ) the ash looks very nice also

Mike Minto
07-07-2009, 8:22 PM
VERY nice knife handle; wonderful hollow form...'outside the bowl' - hahahahaha! :)

Danny Thompson
07-07-2009, 9:16 PM
Nice work, Tom. Where did you get your knife kit? Recommendations?

Dave Halter
07-07-2009, 9:22 PM
Those are both beautiful...

Dave

Tom Lewis
07-07-2009, 9:49 PM
Danny, as far as a knife kit, I don't use kits, I buy knife steel in 6' length's, and make my own blades. I have made and sold knives since 1980. I have been in the Knifemakers Guild, and the American Bladesmith Society.
The money I made in knifemaking helped me buy the wood lathe and tools I now have.
There are a lot of kits avaliable. Jantz Supply at www.knifemaking.com (http://www.knifemaking.com) has a lot of blades and kits for sale.
So does "Texas Knifemaker's Supply" at www.texasknife.com (http://www.texasknife.com)
You could buy a finished blade from them and put your own handle on it.
It helps to have a belt grinder to shape and finish the handle, but is not an absolute necesity.
You can view some of my knifemaking equiptment at http://www.cavemen.net/lewisknives/
If I can be of any help to anyone wanting to put handles on finished blades, or make their own knives, let me know.

Richard Madison
07-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Tom, Nice work, and VERY impressive shop! Expect we'll be seeing more turning and segmenting from you. Looking forward to it.

Chris Rae
07-08-2009, 1:16 AM
I love the knife and the hollow form. Both of them are beautiful!

Malcolm Tibbetts
07-08-2009, 1:22 AM
Tom, great job on both the knife handle and the turning. And thanks for endorsing my book. It never occurred to me that people would find other uses for my techniques.

Bruce McElhaney
07-08-2009, 9:43 AM
Gorgeous knife! Wish I could do that. I can't even figure out how to replace a broken handle on my Wusthof paring knife.

Tom Lewis
07-08-2009, 1:17 PM
Thanks Malcom, I saw you Thursday afternoon in the Instant Gallery at the Albuquerque AAW Symposium. I wanted to speak with you and tell you what I had done, but someone else was always talking with you and I didn't want to interrupt.
I have made a lot of knives and been to a lot of Knife Shows and can't remember ever seeing a segmented knife handle like this one. It's almost impossible to come up with a new idea in the world of knifemaking, and I wouldn't be suprised to find out that someone else had put a handle like this on a knife, but for now maybe I'm the first.