PDA

View Full Version : American Woodworker Scam Phonecall

Gary Ratajczak
07-07-2009, 4:45 PM
Received a call last evening. Person said that rates were going up, and that they were calling to give me a special deal.

Sounded convincing until they asked for my credit card number. Told them to send by mail, and they replied that it was a special offer, and it needed to be entered before rate change.

I said no thanks, but would read offer when it came in the mail. A quick call to American Woodworker confirmed it was a scam, and other people received similar calls.

Use caution - DON'T give your card number over the phone!

Just a FYI

Ken Fitzgerald
07-07-2009, 5:09 PM
Gary,

Makes you wonder how they knew you were a subscriber doesn't it?

David Christopher
07-07-2009, 6:17 PM
Man this kind of stuff never seams to end.....you would think people would do the old fashion thing ( work for their money )

Tom Klass
07-07-2009, 6:30 PM
Just got that same call last night, told him I might not renew do to the fact that money could be used for better things than a magazine that I have been getting for 10 to 15 years. Or at least that what it seems like if you go back through the canceled checks. The caller is suppose to call back next week.

John Lucas
07-07-2009, 7:53 PM
Gary,

Makes you wonder how they knew you were a subscriber doesn't it?

Ken,
It does except that almost all pubs sell their address list...supposedly for direct mail but once you get a copy, anything can happen.

Roger Savatteri
07-07-2009, 9:13 PM

also........Beware of what appears to be Bank Emails!

I received an email letter of what appeared to be from Bank America asking me to reconfirm all my information.

See letter below......

A. they never do that
B. I forwarded the letter to the fraud dept. at the bank.

,,,,r

Don Abele
07-07-2009, 9:33 PM
Roger, I would also bet you that the hyperlink didn't actually take you to that address.

Phishing is a very common scheme these days and it gets A LOT of people. If it didn't, they wouldn't continue doing it.

Be well (and be wary)...

Doc

Tim Wagner
07-08-2009, 12:53 AM
I get the same thing from someone claiming to be from chase bank telling me similar info. There have been several login attemps and we need you to reconfirm your info bla bla bla. only one problem, I don't have any chase credit cards:eek: idiots.

so if anyone gets the same thing talking about your chase CC's don't beleive it.

Tim.

Jim C Bradley
07-08-2009, 1:25 AM
Hi,

I get email supposedly from COX. It asks questions I would not consider answering. I reported it to COX. They said it was a scam. COX asked me to forward it to their division that handles these things. I followed their directions and did a "forward."

Got an email from COX saying that they do not follow up on these things. They also said that I reported it incorrectly---even though I did exactly what I was told by tech. support. Several months later the same thing happened. I reported it and COX gave me the same line of stuff. Net result: Nothing happened.

Ain't technology wonderful.

Enjoy,

Jim

Dar Lounsbury
07-08-2009, 12:04 PM
I also got the Bank of America notice and I don't have an account with them. Looks like they get their lists mixed up. We get one from Wells Fargo about once a month, same deal, no account.

Can't trust anyone over the phone or on the web. Never.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-08-2009, 1:07 PM
When ever anyone wants me to enter an agreement on the telephone - and they called me - - Alarms go off.
I just know there's lots of stuff they are not telling me.

So I say Send me the literature.

They can't because it's a call center and they don't get paid to send you literature.
Too bad for them.

Paul Atkins
07-08-2009, 1:33 PM
Act really alarmed and give them a bunch of phony information.

Brian Ashton
07-08-2009, 8:00 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if they were able to harvest your details off the magazines database. For a scam to target a magazine like that is a real shot in the dark as it's not all that popular. You would think they would have chosen something like time or newsweek if it were simply a phishing trip.