PDA

View Full Version : Iwf...

Stewart Crick
08-30-2004, 8:58 AM
2005 Does anyone happen to know when and where?

Stu

John Renzetti
08-30-2004, 9:18 AM
Hi Stuart, The next IWF won't be held until 24-27 August 2006. There will be the IWFS or something like that, held next July or August(can't remember the exact dates), in Las Vegas. It used to be in Anaheim but was moved to Vegas for this upcoming show.
I got back from the IWF last night. Had a great time.
take care,
John

Stewart Crick
08-30-2004, 10:03 AM
Thanks John!

Have a good time? Silly question you said you had a good time. What ya do? who'd ya see? What did you buy!?!?!?!??!

Stu

Stewart Crick
08-30-2004, 1:18 PM
It's the AWFS (http://www.awfsfair.org/awfsfair/index.asp) that is next year in Las Vegas

July 27th - July 30, 2005

Kent Cori
08-30-2004, 3:27 PM
I went too and thought it was a worthwhile trip. I was able to see many pieces of woodworking equipment that I had only seen in catalogs before. It was great to be able to look under the hood of each of them. I found some I liked more than I thought I would and a few that I will no longer consider.

The only donwside was that if I had seen one more CNC robotic machine designed to route and cut cabinet doors from MDF, I may have lost my cookies. My favoirite though was the bazillion dollar machine that did nothing but match narrow boards to be used in raised panels. It did a pretty poor job and undoubtedly was 10 times more expensive than humna labor since two people were still needed to run the machine but it sure looked cool and had at least a thousand moving parts! :D

John Renzetti
08-30-2004, 6:42 PM
Hi Stu, Flew down to ATL on Thursday and after checking into the hotel I walked over to the show. This is my 5th IWF so now it has become more of a social event. First night a bunch of people from the FOG (Felder owners group got together at the varsity, for some high cholesterol food and good conversation. I was at the Felder booth for a few hours on Friday and Saturday. It was great putting faces with names.
I was looking for a small widebelt sander. I was favoring the Powermatic open end but the reps at the PM booth were less than inspiring and basically useless. About 3 other guys that wanted to buy the same machine got the same impression. Looked at the Timesavers speedsander and liked it a lot but I don't know if I want to spend that much money, plus I'm not sure if I have the room.
Not much really new stuff to see, but I wasn't looking that hard. It is amazing to see what some of these machines can do, but with prices going well into six figures they better be operating all day. I flew out on Sunday afternoon. I'm looking forward now to the AWFS next July.
You should try to make one of these big shows. For a pro like yourself it could be very beneficial in seeing the different types of tooling and other machines available that could make things much more productive for you.
The price of CNC is coming down. The President of Felder Austria commented that soon some good CNC machines will be within reach of the smaller shops to allow them to compete with the bigger ones.
I had a great time, but my feet are sore and I almost lost my voice.
talk to you later,
John