PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help

Mark Noll
07-07-2009, 2:00 PM
Hi everyone.

I have access to a CamTech L20 laser and have BobCad V23.

I would like some help from anyone who can provide it.

What is the best type of plastic or acrylic to cut? Also do you have a source?

When engraving on wood, I would like to fill in the engraving with a color. What is the best method to do so?

I was cutting some Ceylon Satinwood and it is very oily. The oil clogged up the lens. Does anyone have a remedy for this.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for me regarding cutting "Hard: woods like ebony, cocobolo, and other similar woods, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Mark Noll

Frank Corker
07-07-2009, 5:26 PM
Cast acrylic is probably the most desireable type for the laser engraver. The engraving comes out a nice powdery white, however it can shatter if it is put under great pressure. Extruded acrylic looks identical but behaves differently, it does engrave but it is not very visible and needs to be colour filled, however the strength is much more durable than cast. They use this type over here in the UK for making registration plates on vehicles as they don't generally crack and take a lot of abuse.

When it comes to wood a 'finished' surface is better than raw untreated. The engraving comes out much clearer and when you apply colour fill, there is less bleed because the upper surface is usually hardened by the varnish or finish applied. For this there are several different ways and each person prefers their own seperate ways, you could put a piece of masking tape over the wood before you engrave and then brush it in or swipe it in with a 'squeegie' effect - like a windscreen wiper. Some prefer to put it in with a brush, leave it to dry and then rub it down, usually this method works well if the surface has been varnished to avoid bleed.

Regarding your wood, I know that there is also quite a residue from cedar wood that I have tried. Nothing I could do about it, so I just cleaned the lens more often. I'm sure that there will be someone here who knows wood much better than I.

As for hard woods, I haven't had much dealing with it, I did do a piece of Lignum vitae which was a real bugger to do. Several runs high power and low speed.

Bill Cunningham
07-07-2009, 10:58 PM
It seems to me that I did some ebony a while back. I was engraving a veneer recess shape into some 'ear plugs' a customer set me and even with several light passes, getting depth without char is tough going.. (ear plugs are those things some of the 'fringe' folk use to stretch their ear lobes to big floppy proportions):eek:

Frank Corker
07-08-2009, 6:51 AM
.... (ear plugs are those things some of the 'fringe' folk use to stretch their ear lobes to big floppy proportions):eek:

.... and they hurt like hell when you first put them in ;)

George M. Perzel
07-08-2009, 8:34 AM
Hi Mark;
Welcome to the Creek.
Everyone of your questions is answered in great detail on threads in this forum. Do a search on each and you'll have plenty of info and advice.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Bill Cunningham
07-12-2009, 8:35 PM
.... and they hurt like hell when you first put them in ;)

Ya but do the big holes help you hear any better? They are 'plugs'.
After all, I'm just getting used to my Prince Albert.. :eek:

Frank Corker
07-13-2009, 4:57 AM
.....After all, I'm just getting used to my Prince Albert.. :eek:

LOL You are too much Bill :D