PDA

View Full Version : Myrtlewood

Dahl Troy Perry
07-07-2009, 1:55 PM
Just got back from Oregon and came home with 4 pc of myrtle wood 3x3x14 would like to make salt and peper grinders out of them they are green how would you do the turing rough and let dry put hole in then dry where shall I start ? :confused:Iv'e read that myrtle wood dries slow. Never turned grinders out of green wood not shure were to start. First trip to the west coast seen a lot of wood I wanted to bring home but the planes can only cary so much seen the redwoods in northern Cal. you don't know how big they realy are till you see them up close shure makes are trees back here in Indiana look small.:rolleyes:

Steve Schlumpf
07-07-2009, 2:09 PM
Dahl - sounds like you had a fun trip! As far as turning green wood - give this info a read and see if it doesn't offer some answers for you.
http://alcoholsoaking.blogspot.com/

HTH

Ralph Lindberg
07-07-2009, 3:49 PM
I'd just set them on the shelf and let then dry. Weigh them, mark the weight and check every few months until they don't change any more.

I've only worked dry Pacific Myrtle

I don't think you want to even consider trying makeing mills out for green wood (any type)

The problem with trying DNA, is there are too many unknowns. Each wood behaves differently, while air-drying is known and easy to understand

Bernie Weishapl
07-07-2009, 6:13 PM
I have used the DNA method with great results on many different woods. I know from a friend of mine that says you want myrtle wood dry so I would make sure it is dry whatever way you do it before turning a mill. I have a lot of my 3 x 3 woods air drying but it does take some months to get them dry.

Steve Knowlton
07-07-2009, 7:22 PM
I would DNA it to dry. I have done this with myrtle and it works fine. i turn a lot of wet myrtle and it moves so for your project get it dry.