PDA

View Full Version : Help with Woodworker II blade and snap in splitter

whit richardson
07-07-2009, 12:44 PM
I have a Unisaw with the Delta/biesmyer snap in splitter. It works find with my standard kerf saw blades but when I try to use my thin kerf WW II it always starts binding against the fence. My fence is set for about 1/32" run out towards the last few inches.

I'm thinking the splitter is too thick and could be realigned for the fence side to be totally flush with the blade. But I need to make a zero clearance insert for it so I was thinking of using one of those micro splitters you can pickup for a few bucks instead and keep the Snap in for my other blades.

Comments, ideas?

Cary Falk
07-07-2009, 1:11 PM
I have a Uni with a WWII(full kerf) and the Beis Snap in splitter. It sounds like yours is a newer left lelt. The splitter is definitely for full kefr only. There is no way to make it work on thin kerf blades. You will probly have to go the MJ splitter route.

Phil Harding
07-07-2009, 1:28 PM
You can use a thin kerf splitter (.100") with a full kerf blade (.125"), but you can not use a full kerf splitter with a thin kerf blade.

-- Phil

Danny Burns
07-07-2009, 11:08 PM
You can use a thin kerf splitter (.100") with a full kerf blade (.125"), but you can not use a full kerf splitter with a thin kerf blade.

-- Phil

The job of a splitter is to keep the wood from moving in after the cut, and catching the back teeth of the saw blade, thus launching itself up and over the blade, forward towards the operator.

Match the splitter thickness to the blade.

Make a 3/32" thick replacement splitter out of some steel plate to match the original, except in thickness.

ken gibbs
07-08-2009, 6:51 AM
Ten days ago I ws ripping some new 1/2 plywood on my rebuilt Unisaw. No safety or splitter. Brand new Forest Woodworker II blade. The plywood kicked back and I took a severe hit to my gut. Nasty cut and very nasty contusions. So I decided to get a anti-kickback paul before I killed my self. I am healing up nicely but it still hurts.

whit richardson
07-08-2009, 10:30 AM
As I expected. Thanks guys. I actually found some MJ splitters I bought a way back with their Gripper. Now all I need is a zero insert blank (sorry no bandsaw yet to make my own). My real fault was letting a "Woodworker store guy" unnamed store talk me into a thin kerf WW II when I have a 3 HP table saw.

Hey Ken stay safe! I've watched other guys using their TS without splitters claiming they've never had a problem but... when I was a metal worker I saw that it only takes ONE time to regret forever.

Mark Godlesky
07-09-2009, 1:01 AM
Walt- You don't need a bandsaw. I cut a rectangle the same width and length as the insert that came with the saw. Trace the curves on the rectanle using the insert. Then knock off the corners on the table saw with your miter gauge set to 45 deg. Or cut to the waste side of the line with a jigsaw. Either way will get you close enough to clean up with a flush trim bit in your router.

Don Morris
07-09-2009, 1:13 AM
I gave up switching between full thickness and thin kerf and full thickness ZCI's to thin kerf ZCI's. The only blade now in my shop is a WWII full thickness. I don't have to worry about it anymore. No remeasuring on the tape, or resetting the tape, etc. And the wood I lose isn't worth it. My Grizzly 1023 pushes through everything pretty well.

Don Morris
07-09-2009, 1:17 AM
Forgot to add...that means I don't have to worry about my Unisaw snap in splitter (which fits my 1023) working for whatever application I'm doing. It's always the right thickness. I had to simplify my life.

whit richardson
07-09-2009, 9:35 AM
Thanks Mark for the ideas. I'll have to give that a try and save the $'s. Don you have the right idea. Simplify, simplify.. I'd maybe think of trying to sell the thin kerf WW II yet often a sale price is so much less that what you paid and I've cut about 4 ft of wood with it. Again I was a noob when I got the TS and the Woodstore guy said that was the "one" to have. :cool:

Jim Becker
07-09-2009, 9:55 PM
The Biesemeyer snap-in splitter is only for full kerf blades.

whit richardson
07-10-2009, 10:54 AM
thanks Jim. Like a few of us out there I'll have more rip blades than I need but it's a learning experience. So I can make a ZCI for it and add one of my MJ micro splitters if I want to keep it or see if I can swap/sell it to another local WW who needs a thin kerf.

Here's a kicker.. the other night I was picking up a piece of 2"x4" I had ripped and it stuck under the fence side pawl, I tugged a little and the spring clip broke on the fence side.

Now to see if Delta sells fix it parts. :mad: