PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing / Finishing advice needed

Adam Cavaliere
07-07-2009, 10:16 AM
I am having issues with my finish and have tried refinishing the table, but I am running into issues. Let me give you details first.

Item: Coffee Table w/ inlay
Type of wood: Red Oak
Finish type: Water Based Polycrylic

This was one of my first projects that was so large and made out of Red Oak. I didn't realize I should have used a filler on the wood. I have so many coats of finish on this table to be able to level it, it is crazy. In my first attempt to finish the table, I had sanded up to 1200 grit, leveling as I went.

The table looked great until I realized I sanded through the finish in 3 different spots and actually took away some stain. I have been able to restain properly so that the color is nicely matched.

I tried refinishing the table with a few more coats of WB polycrylic. I did sand the top of the table with 320 grit before putting any new coats on. I have run into two issues.

1. Some of the finish I applied seems to be flaking off now as I try wet sanding level again.
2. I already popped through the finish and stain again, both in the two spots I had before.

I think the sanding through may be an issue with the fact that those are spots where there was much more open grain and I don't have enough finish there.

My question to you guys is 2-fold, should I give up on the leveling since I didn't put the grain filler in and just try to get as smooth of a finish that I can?

I have been planning on getting one of the Earlex 5000 HVLPs from woodcraft, do you think I should just spray it and be finished with it? Also any ideas on how to deal with the flaking?

Todd Carpenter
07-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Hi Adam,

Peeling or flaking? Either way the new isn't bonding with the old - which is the way polycrylic works, but you may not have your surface clean enough. When I sand between coats using this stuff, I usually wipe with a clean damp rag to collect all the dust. When I sand through the finish - which I do more than I care to admit to, after I restain, I'll wipe with lacquer thinner to make sure I've gotten all the oil residue off.

If the finish is flaking, it almost sounds like it's either drying to fast, or you're overworking it with your brush, either making it too thin, collecting dust, yada yada. If you're brushing, flow it on, tip it off and walk away. If you're a perfectionist like me, I know how hard that is to do - but do it anyway.

As for giving up on the leveling, I wouldn't, since you're using polycrylic, between coats, just knock off the dust nibs with either 280 or 320 - don't try to level it yet!!!! Once the dust nibs appear as a cloudy dot, you're done. Take a scotch brite pad (or any synthetic steel wool) and scuff it up - everywhere - you need to see scratches/cloudiness everywhere - but remember - you're not leveling yet. After your third coat has cured for at least a week (a month is better) then you can start the finishing/leveling process.

HTH
Todd

Phil Phelps
07-07-2009, 12:54 PM
I've never used a water based poly. However, are you trying to fill the grain of the oak with the poly? If so, you can put many coats on before you try leveling it. Are you using a brush? Lay down two or three coats and lightly sanding with 220 and recoat. Do this several times before you start the fine grit leveling process. Any time you can spray I think you'll be better off.

Adam Cavaliere
07-07-2009, 2:11 PM
My only fear with the leveling is that for some reason I keep hitting the same spots after putting on 3 extra coats of finish. I will try spraying to ensure I get a more even coverage and then see where I am at.

It is frustrating because of all the time I have already but into filling in the grain with the finish. I think I have put on well over 20+ coats and sanded it back down to almost nothing just trying to fill in the grain.