PDA

View Full Version : Mirrored Surfaces eg Alumamark

Ian Wilson (AUST)
07-07-2009, 5:58 AM
G'day Creekers,

There is a lot of mirror like surface (plastics) for laser engraving eg Alumamark .....Silver and gold.........I'm sure I read somewhere this can hurt the laser as it reflects back on the mirror...........is this true.

I am also having problems with Laser Max red lettering on white. I have used the white lettering on Red back ground and the white turns out brilliant. But when I use the white background with red letters the red is milky....have tried two passes, in & out of focus and different settings with no real success.

Any thoughts?

Cheers Ian

Frank Corker
07-07-2009, 8:35 AM
I can say that for Alumamark there are no issues with deflection of the beam. I suspect it does have a danger using a mirror, acrylic or glass, but I have to be honest and say I have done both and not had any issues. However if you are concerned about taking the risk, then don't, you can diffuse the mirror using soapy liquid or even a smear of petroleum jelly.

With the twin layer stuff, sometimes there are issues with the strong colours, such as red, it has to be a series of tests by yourself to find which pans out best. I have tried different settings that people have posted here and not got good results, but you have quite a few options available to you. Exact definition of several: an indefinite number more than 2 or 3 but not many, passes at low power might be better than 1 pass with huge amounts of power. To cut it to the quick; do tests!

Scott Shepherd
07-07-2009, 8:36 AM
You are pretty safe with most anything that's made for the laser. Plastics with shiny surfaces are fine, Alumamark is fine too.

Rodne Gold
07-07-2009, 9:24 AM
You can put a little furniture oil/pledge/wax on the plate with red letters and that will brighten up the milky red...mostly the laserable twin layer stuff has an acrylic base which will tend to frost if laser engraved

Tom Delaney
07-07-2009, 3:41 PM
The other issue with Red over White is to engrave from 'bottom up' rather than top down. If you use the default (top down) the smoke and red particulate from the subsequent engraving will have to pass over the white letters. Some will deposit on the letters and will require cleaning in order to remove. Just a thought having failed before. Remember - Bottom UP!:p

Bill Cunningham
07-07-2009, 10:36 PM
I find that taking it out of focus (table down) abt. 1/8" will soften the engraving and it won't look so frosty red..

Ian Wilson (AUST)
07-12-2009, 6:25 PM
To Frank, Scott, Rodney, Tom and Bill,

Thanks for your advise.

Kind regards,

Ian

Ian Wilson (AUST)
07-12-2009, 6:55 PM
Thanks Frank.....time to start more tests.

Regards Ian

Ian Wilson (AUST)
07-12-2009, 6:56 PM
Cheers Scott..........now I can rest easy.

Ian

Ian Wilson (AUST)
07-12-2009, 6:57 PM
I'll give that a go and see what happens.

Thank you.

Ian

Ian Wilson (AUST)
07-12-2009, 6:59 PM
I will try the "out of focus" trick.

Thanks for your advise!

Regards Ian