PDA

View Full Version : Got the table and chairs done, now the finishing.

Bill Huber
07-06-2009, 10:33 PM
I finished the table today and now they are ready to finish.

The table is 24x36 and 20 high, the chairs are 11 1/2x11 1/2 and have a 12 seat height and the backs are 23 inches.

It is all made out of maple, everything is doweled together using the DowelMax and the chair slats are installed in mortises made with the Mortise Pal.

After many good ideas form creekers I guess I am going to spray them with about 4 coats of poly, no stain, my daughter likes the color as is.

Dave Lehnert
07-06-2009, 10:36 PM
WOW! Looks great

Chuck Isaacson
07-07-2009, 12:58 AM
Very NICE!!! I want to do something of the sort, just the bigger version. I like that very much.

CHuck

Russ Boyd
07-07-2009, 7:44 AM
Very nice work Bill! I'm sure your daughter will be very pleased at her first tea party. Nice job.

Michael Wildt
07-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Wow, awesome work. I have a coffee table in mind that would be somewhat similar to your table, except square and lower. Would you mind sharing your design ? and how hard it was to do ? (I'm a newbie).

Michael

Prashun Patel
07-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Daughter may like the color as is, but unless you spray with water-based poly, then it's going to yellow over time. I love it; some do not.

Very nice table, Bill. Mortisepal AND a Dowelmax?! I'm jealous. Gotta love that Dowelmax, huh? How much easier can joinery get?

Bob Carreiro
07-07-2009, 3:39 PM
Great looking set, Bill.

How thick is the table top and chair decks, and what are the (square) dimensions of the table legs and chair legs? I like the proportions.

How much time do you have invested in this project? Was it an off-the-shelf plan, or your own design?

regards,
Bob

Bill Huber
07-07-2009, 9:30 PM
Wow, awesome work. I have a coffee table in mind that would be somewhat similar to your table, except square and lower. Would you mind sharing your design ? and how hard it was to do ? (I'm a newbie).

Michael

There is not much to the table, the top is 3/4 the apron is also 3/4, the legs are 1 1/2. The legs are set in 2 3/4 from the edge of the table. The only plans I have are just what I scratched on paper to make it.

The legs are doweled to the apron with 3 dowels for each joint, the top is held on with those little z type brackets.

The hardest part for me was getting the top nice and flat when I glued it up.

Bill Huber
07-07-2009, 9:43 PM
Great looking set, Bill.

How thick is the table top and chair decks, and what are the (square) dimensions of the table legs and chair legs? I like the proportions.

How much time do you have invested in this project? Was it an off-the-shelf plan, or your own design?

regards,
Bob

The top is 3/4 of an inch, the chairs are 3/4 inch also, the legs on the chairs are 1 1/4 squre. The legs on the table are 1 1/2 inch square.

I really can't say how much time I have in it, I made 3 different chairs before I decided on the design. After I knew what I wanted and how to do it I think it took me a week after work on the chairs and a day on the table.

All the design is mine, if you can call it a design.

Jim Lindsay
07-14-2009, 6:38 PM
Thanks for posting pictures of the table and chairs Bill. Can we use the image as an example of a customer project on the Dowelmax website? Can you supply a picture of them after finishing?

Mike, Dowelmax.

Gary Lange
07-14-2009, 7:04 PM
That looks really nice. I can't wait to see it finished.

Michael Wildt
07-14-2009, 10:49 PM
Thanks Bill

Bill Huber
07-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Thanks for posting pictures of the table and chairs Bill. Can we use the image as an example of a customer project on the Dowelmax website? Can you supply a picture of them after finishing?

Mike, Dowelmax.

Well do Jim, I will send it to you.

Harold Shay
07-14-2009, 11:31 PM
What a great way to show you feelings for your daughter. They look great.
Harold