PDA

View Full Version : Threaded rod workbench top help

David Schmaus
07-06-2009, 6:31 PM
So the base is completed for my bench. Now on to the top. I am making it out of hard maple. 72" x 30 x 3" I have a 13" benchtop planer but have access to a friends 15" powermatic. The plan is to glue up three 10" wide sections to make the top. If I run three rods through it what and when is the best time to drill for the rods. I dont have a drill press.

Thanks

michael osadchuk
07-06-2009, 6:44 PM
So the base is completed for my bench. Now on to the top. I am making it out of hard maple. 72" x 30 x 3" I have a 13" benchtop planer but have access to a friends 15" powermatic. The plan is to glue up three 10" wide sections to make the top. If I run three rods through it what and when is the best time to drill for the rods. I dont have a drill press.

Thanks

If you are planning to put rods into the workbench top to keep the sections together, the glue alone is more than sufficient.

the rods also can get in way of where you put dog holes

good luck

michael

harry strasil
07-06-2009, 8:28 PM
drill them one at a time thru each board for dry fitup, drill the first one very accurately and then use it for the next one, remove it, drill the 3rd one from the second and so on. its gotta fit that way. If you have a friend with a drill press, let the friend drill thru a short piece as an alignment tool for the first ones.

Ace Hdwe has 12 inch long bits, reasonable.

Rick Lizek
07-06-2009, 8:34 PM
http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/shrinkulator.htm
You don't need the rods.

doug faist
07-06-2009, 9:37 PM
David - I built my bench about 4 years ago with hard maple and walnut. It's 60 x 30 x 3 1/2". No bolts in the top; just a liberal amount of Titebond III and clamp pressure. So far, no sign of separations, splits or any other flaws (save for the odd hammer mark and over-drilled hole. :))

I really don't think you need to bother with the bolts unless there's some overwhelming reason you'd like to have them.

Have fun with your project.

Doug

harry strasil
07-06-2009, 10:48 PM
uh, oh, donkey track and large wood borer attack, LOL, did it get wet from tears, too doug?

harry strasil
07-06-2009, 10:49 PM
True, he don't need them, but he asked how to, so if he decides he absoulutely needs them, he can .