PDA

View Full Version : Freud router question

Jason White
07-06-2009, 4:27 PM
Anybody have the Freud ft2200vce in a table? Does it allow for above-the-table bit changes?

Also, does anybody know if the base hole patterns between the FT3000VCE and the FT1700VCEK are the same? I have the smaller 2-1/4HP router, but only want to drill holes in my router table once and may upgrade to the 3-1/4HP machine in a couple of months.

Jason

scott spencer
07-06-2009, 5:57 PM
The collet on the FT2200 doesn't extend above the table, so you won't be able to do above table bit changes with that router unless you get a bent wrench and remove the insert. The FT1700 and FT3000 have collets that extend above the table, along with above table height changes, and above table height lock.

Curt Harms
07-07-2009, 8:09 AM
In addition to what Scott said, the FT2000E which is the same as the FT2200 except for color AFAIK, requires access below the table to use the shaft lock. The shaft lock is a sliding spring loaded plate. I have mine in a table saw extension and can reach the shaft lock under the table. If I had an enclosure for dust collection I'd need a method to engage the shaft lock. I don't have either the FT1700 or FT3000 but believe they have a means to lock the shaft automatically when the router is raised above the table. Freud routers seem to be powerful reliable machines but locking the shaft to change bits is an issue with any table mounted router.