PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Curio Cabinet

Jeff Hamilton
08-29-2004, 11:42 PM
Whew it's finally done!!!!
Between long hours at work and pushing the cabinet off to do other things I finally finished this Curio cabinet for my wife. I built the cabinet from a cherry tree that fell over after a thunder storm 4 or 5 years ago. This was my first time to deal with glass doors. Needless to say I broke the first panel of glass I tried to install in the doors. The back of the cabinet is bead board sprayed bone white. And the cabinet is stained a dark mahogany with 3 coats of sealer and 4 coats of laquer
Thanks for looking
Jeff H

Greg Heppeard
08-29-2004, 11:50 PM
Nice job. What kind of lighting did you use?

Dick Parr
08-30-2004, 12:41 AM
Looks great Jeff. Very nice job.

Kevin Swindle
08-30-2004, 8:23 AM
Great job Jeff. Your wife must be very proud.

John Miliunas
08-30-2004, 8:43 AM
Super looking cabinet and made of my favorite domestic wood, to boot! :) Very well done. I'm just happy we don't have enough room in our house, or else LOML may be hounding me for one of those, too! :cool:

Mark J Bachler
08-30-2004, 8:48 AM
Awesome job. Cherry always has the rich warm look to it.

David Plaskett
08-30-2004, 9:11 AM
Nice work. I'm working on one of similar design out of quarter sawn red oak.
Just a year late but hopefully will be done in few weeks. Hope mine turns out as nice as yours.

Terry Hatfield
08-30-2004, 9:14 AM
j,

WOW!!! Super nice job!!

t

Jason Tuinstra
08-30-2004, 10:04 AM
Jeff, real nice work. I really like the look of the white beadboard on the back.

Earl Reid
08-30-2004, 10:12 AM
Jeff, Very nice curio, I love that cherry wood.
Earl :)

Gary Whitt
08-30-2004, 1:38 PM
Excellent!!!!
I like the drawer at the bottom. Nice touch.

Steve Clardy
08-30-2004, 6:04 PM
Hey. Looks nice Jeff. I like cherry, one of my best woods.
Steve

Herb Blair
08-30-2004, 6:18 PM
Great Job. The white back really lights it up!
thanks for sharing with us.

Bruce Page
08-30-2004, 9:50 PM
Jeff,
Very classy! It must be very rewarding to build a beautiful cabinet like that out of salvaged wood!

Jerry Olexa
08-30-2004, 10:58 PM
Jeff great job! Good looking cabinet and my favorite wood. How did you finish it?

Jeff Hamilton
08-30-2004, 11:36 PM
Brad ( I mean Jerry)
I was hoping to not tell this story but hey live and learn.
I started out by using an hvlp conversion gun. Worked great on the sealer due to fact that if you screw up it just sands smooth anyway.I got to the point of spraying the laquer and the fun began.So I ask my brother-n-law
who just happens to be a pro painter what to do. And he say "if it were me I would use an airless to spray the laquer" So I grab the old airless run about 1 gal. of laquer thinner thru it and load up the laquer. The first coat was beautiful.
so I lightly sand it and spray the next coat. I'm so proud of myself that I go get the wife to show her just how good I am. Then the 10 megaton bomb hits. She looks at it and asks " what are all the white specks?"
I look and to my horror there is bone white enamel all over my cabinet. Come to find out laquer works just like laquer thinner it ate all the paint off the wall of the hose and intake. after a week of rubbing and sanding I went back to the hvlp and had to thin the laquer 50/50 to get a good coat

What a night mare!!!! Most of the trouble due to pig headedness and inexperience. Sorry about rambling on but the moral of the story is never use an airless sprayer to spray laquer that you have been using to spray enamel.You can never get all the paint out..
Jeff Hamilton

Jim Ketron
08-31-2004, 12:13 AM
Great Job Jeff!
Looks Like you found a good place to show it off!
Nice work!
Jim