PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling lift/hoist for assembly table?

Brad Ridgway
07-06-2009, 3:25 PM
I've seen a hinge/pulley based setup to lower the top from the wall. But i am out of wall space and my only option looks to be some kind of contraption where i have a reel and four attachments points on the table (recessed so as not to interfere with clamping). Although powered would be nice, its likely out of my price range...

Anyone done anything like this?

-brad

Lee Schierer
07-06-2009, 4:37 PM
Since my DC motor and fan assembly has to be lifted up to remove teh barrel with the dust, I rigged a block and tackle to the ceiling to lift the motor out of the way while I remove and empty the barrel.

Just be sure to do your weight calculations to insure your lift system can handle the weight with ease and that you doen't exceed teh load limit on teh ceiling joists or rafters.

David Dockstader
07-06-2009, 5:35 PM
I've actually seen this done for a bed, but the hoist mechanism was fairly complex. I think you'd have a problem with it not being attached to the wall. If it is suspended from 4 cables and not attached to the wall, it will swing free every time you lean on it. Now you could guy-wire it to the floor, but then you'd have some kind of floor connection to trip over. This may be a little trickier than you think.

Brad Ridgway
07-06-2009, 8:09 PM
Sorry, clarification on David's point...

This is simply to lower / raise for storage. Once i drop it for use. it will rest on my table saw (disconnect from the cabling) and can be anchored to the table saw or can be moved from there to another base behind it (essentially where the outfeed support is). The cons of a small shop is that a TS with 50" rails, a full size sliding table and 4x8' assembly table don't mix well...

Additionally, permanent cables would be in the way of assembly...

harry strasil
07-06-2009, 8:14 PM
You want to completely eliminate the table from the floor or just make space?

You could add some casters near the top on one side, tip the table over on its side and roll it outa the way a bit, or just set it up on end. Or do like the shakers did with their large dining tables, fold or take the legs off and set it aside.

Another solution is to find the exact center of the table, drill a hole for a cable to go thru, mount a pulley underneath and a cheap hand boat winch on one end and a big screw eye or such in the overhead joists and just crank it up outa the way. When you want to use it, lower it down, drop the cable thru the hole and use it.

Scott Schwake
07-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Check out fellow creeker Alan Lily's blog, he made a pretty cool contraption to lift and store a trailer overhead in his garage.

Brad Ridgway
07-07-2009, 6:55 AM
Scott, thx - that is exactly what i was imagining (link is http://www.panofish.net/2007-06-03_Trailer_Lift/index.html for anyone interested)

Harry, correct it's purely an issue of space... On edge might just be an option, though this sucker is heavy (i did get it on edge and flip without any help to flush trim the skins but getting it from a height of ~2-3' on edge at floor level may be er interesting (even if the casters lock). Still, that may be my cheapest/quickest ticket to a useable saw again :) The single pulley option isn't bad either. Guess i better go buy some hardwood for my skirting before i consider that :)

ted choi
07-07-2009, 9:19 PM
It looks a little scary. The trailer lift looked like there was some sort of locking mechanism to secure it in the up position, which I think is essential for this sort of thing. If the hoist ever failed when you were under the assembly table, you might not survive the drop.

harry strasil
07-07-2009, 9:45 PM
I moved this around, off and on my tablesaw while building and after finished,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/nu%20bench/coatedbench050809.jpg

with only a single pair of C clamp vise grips clamped on a floor joist and a small chain comealong several times, its solid oak with 5 vises on it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/nu%20bench/Nubnch11109002.jpg

it shows 2 comealongs hooked together as the chain was a bit short.