PDA

View Full Version : base for bandsaw?

Jerome Hanby
07-06-2009, 1:12 PM
Anyone have any links, plans, suggestions, or pics of/for a shop-built bandsaw stand? Googling only turned up one stand made from construction lumber...

glenn bradley
07-06-2009, 2:19 PM
Hmmm, by stand I take it you mean something like an enclosed box-like base for a smaller bandsaw? Hmmm, again; I was looking for my dad's that he built for his old Delta 14" but cannot find it here. I'll give him a call.

Jerome Hanby
07-06-2009, 2:23 PM
That's it exactly. A creeker suggested that building a new base rather than trying to rehabilitate the one I bounced would be time well spent. Thanks for checking on your Dad's!

glenn bradley
07-06-2009, 3:03 PM
That's it exactly. A creeker suggested that building a new base rather than trying to rehabilitate the one I bounced would be time well spent. Thanks for checking on your Dad's!

Looks like he may not have posted. I'll call him when he is off work. Basically we moved the motor from below to behind to create room for drawers. His Delta is a 1940's model where the motor mounts in line with the spine, but seperate from the machine and turns CCW. I believe your machine does as well(?).

Either way, we got him a larger, more stable, drawer-holding and mobile base out of our efforts. I'll dog him for pics ;-) He is also quite tall . . . NOT! So, we were able to build the base to the height he preferred. In this way I would see your mishap as a possible blessing if you prefer another height than the original.

Jerome Hanby
07-06-2009, 4:27 PM
Looks like he may not have posted. I'll call him when he is off work. Basically we moved the motor from below to behind to create room for drawers. His Delta is a 1940's model where the motor mounts in line with the spine, but seperate from the machine and turns CCW. I believe your machine does as well(?).

Either way, we got him a larger, more stable, drawer-holding and mobile base out of our efforts. I'll dog him for pics ;-) He is also quite tall . . . NOT! So, we were able to build the base to the height he preferred. In this way I would see your mishap as a possible blessing if you prefer another height than the original.

I think you're right, the motor is definitely mounted in line with the cast iron frame and would have to turn ccw to make the blade move the correct direction.

I'm actually pretty tall, so it's tempting to raise the height a bit, but I'd hate to make it difficult for my wife to use, so I'll probably use the existing base as a guide line.

How is vibration with your Dad's stand? Looking forward to pictures!

James Van Vleet
07-06-2009, 9:32 PM
I suggested it originally. My stand is not really worth taking a picture of though. I just built an 3/4" MDF box and put the motor in the top and a drawer in the bottom. Cut a hole in the top of the box for the belt and painted.

Once dry I mounted the on/off switch the box and used link belt to make the perfect fit where I bolted the motor.

My factory stand had no structural or cosmetic issues but the noise and vibration was just not good. It was amazing how the MDF soaked up both noise and vibration. Stand has to be 6+ years old now....

-James

Bruce Wrenn
07-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Several years back, in FWW, John White did an article on souping up the 14" band saw. He built a wooden base that had a drawer in it, and "fold out wings" to support long stock. Perhaps someone can find that article for you. If your saw had the open base, then you could probably get the parts needed to fix it from Delta.

John Jendro
07-06-2009, 10:09 PM
This one I'm going to try and copy.

John

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=7610

Tom Wassack
07-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Greetings from NC!
I have attached pictures of a bandsaw base constructed from birch plywood. The band saw is a 1946 model Delta purchased at auction back in the late 90's. The bandsaw and base have served me well.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m150/TomRandNC/BandSaw/P8290022.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m150/TomRandNC/BandSaw/P8290023.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m150/TomRandNC/BandSaw/P8290027.jpg

Respectfully,
Tom Wassack
Asheboro, NC

Art Bianconi
07-07-2009, 12:17 AM
"What the heck, it's just a box with a motor that has to hold a saw. It's for cutting wood. What's the big deal?"

Some people don't get that this passion for making things is a chance for us to express ourselves. That saw base reflects more about you than some people will ever understand.

The big deal Tom, is that I so admire workmanship and seeing evidence of someone who took the time and effort.

Thanks for sharing that lovely work. It's a pleasure to be able to acknowledge what you've done.

Art

Mark Godlesky
07-07-2009, 12:45 AM
Tom - The cabinet looks like a great match for the saw, and I really like the mobile base. Nice floor, too.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-07-2009, 3:23 AM
I have my PM 14" on a regular Delta mobile base. Remember to make the base a little bigger than the base of the saw, it will give you a little bit more stability. I guess you could use any mobile base kit, the BS is not that heavy.

Mike Cruz
07-07-2009, 1:38 PM
Yeah, I like your floor, too. Everyone kinda rolls their eyes at me when they find out I put hickory flooring in my shop. Then I have to go through the long explanation of WHY I did it...I didn't have a lot of $ to spend on it, and through Lumber Liquidators, I got my 2 1/4" "rustic" hickory flooring for $1 a square foot! The tough part was sorting through it all. EACH piece needed to be carefully examined because with "rustic", you not only get knots and splits (I was perfectly OK with those...they just gave the floor character), but you had to check to make sure they had tongues, grooves, and that they measured 2 1/4 inches the WHOLE way down. 720 square foot shop that all but 36 sq ft of got flooring. All in all, it turned out looking great, but took forever to install.

Now it looks like I'm going to need to build a base for my (1.5 HP, hehe)14" Ridgid that I just ordered a riser kit and Carter guides for. I hope mine comes out as well as yours, Tom.

Rod Sheridan
07-07-2009, 2:11 PM
I second Art's opinion, lovely work, a joy to look at......Rod.

glenn bradley
07-10-2009, 12:24 AM
Here's some shots of dad's stand. Might give you some ideas:

Frank Drew
07-10-2009, 2:38 PM
Jerome,

Depending on how much your saw's table overhangs in the front, you might want to incorporate a toe kick at the bottom front.

Jerome Hanby
07-10-2009, 3:11 PM
WOW!

OK, I'm inspired :D

Here's some shots of dad's stand. Might give you some ideas:

Jerome Hanby
07-10-2009, 3:13 PM
Great suggestion! I need all the help I can get maneuvering around and in front of things.

Jerome,

Depending on how much your saw's table overhangs in the front, you might want to incorporate a toe kick at the bottom front.

Mike Cruz
07-10-2009, 5:59 PM
Well, the usual happened to me. I started out wanting to make something like your dad's base, Glenn, but I knew how much time that would take, and simple prevailed. Mine just turned out to be a 20" X 30" box with the top and bottom having an inch lip all the way around. I had to make a hinged access panel on the side to get to the nuts and washers that hold the saw and motor down. Oh, and it has casters, too. Pretty boring, but it does the job. Maybe some day when I have nothing else to do :rolleyes: I'll build another one like good ole dad's...