PDA

View Full Version : Copperized Vessel w/Finial....

Wally Dickerman
07-06-2009, 12:07 PM
This piece was given a copper Rub-N-Buff finish followed by some work with a pyrography pen. Vessel size is 4 in. dia. x 6 in. tall. Finial is ebony. The piece was entered in a show and sold on the first day.

Comments?

Wally

David Walser
07-06-2009, 12:43 PM
(Pun intended.)

Wally,

I really like this piece, which is saying a lot because I'm not partial to finishes that obscure the wooden nature of an object -- else, why not make from clay on a potter's wheel? In this case, the piece is so fine it overcomes my personal preference. Much like a gentleman might prefer blonds but still be forced to admit that Jaclyn Smith (of Charlie's Angels fame) is one beautiful women. My only quibble is with the finial. It seems a little heavy, but I might prefer it to thinner ones if given the chance to see them.

Bill Bolen
07-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Wally this is a beautiful piece and I can sure see why it sold so quickly! Could you fill me in on what a "copper rub & buff " finish might be. Looks fantastic...Bill..

Steve Kubien
07-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Wow Wally! That is really nice and I hope it fetched a good price for you. I too would like to now more about the copper rub.

Steve

Norm Zax
07-06-2009, 1:26 PM
simply, WOW. yep, thats it.

Wally Dickerman
07-06-2009, 1:51 PM
Wally this is a beautiful piece and I can sure see why it sold so quickly! Could you fill me in on what a "copper rub & buff " finish might be. Looks fantastic...Bill..

Rub-N-Buff is a finish that comes in a toothpaste-like tube and can be found in a hobby store. It comes in a range of colors including several shades of gold. As the name implies, it is rubbed on with a small cloth. A finish such as Krylon Fixitif should be applied over it.

Wally

Wally Dickerman
07-06-2009, 2:03 PM
(Pun intended.)

Wally,

I really like this piece, which is saying a lot because I'm not partial to finishes that obscure the wooden nature of an object -- else, why not make from clay on a potter's wheel? In this case, the piece is so fine it overcomes my personal preference. Much like a gentleman might prefer blonds but still be forced to admit that Jaclyn Smith (of Charlie's Angels fame) is one beautiful women. My only quibble is with the finial. It seems a little heavy, but I might prefer it to thinner ones if given the chance to see them.

David, I tend to agree with you on covering wood, especially figured wood, with color or whatever. However, after a lot of years of turning plain bowls and vessels I'm having fun with various kinds of enhancements on my work.

The finial isn't one of my favorites either. It's a learning process.

Blondes? I married one, but they all end up with grey hair anyway, so at my age, who cares?

Wally

Ron Bontz
07-06-2009, 5:00 PM
Beautiful piece. I would like to see a " how to" video on that one. And yes I married a strawberry blonde who then cloned herself. I now have two bosses controlling my every move. Their hair is still golden and mine is gray and falling out. Hmmmm. It's a conspiracy, I tell ya. :D

Steve Schlumpf
07-06-2009, 6:07 PM
Blondes? I married one, but they all end up with grey hair anyway, so at my age, who cares?

Wally - keep getting the feeling that you would make one heck of a stand-up comedian! That's some funny stuff!

Beautiful work once again! First thing I always look for is the form - cause I am still figuring out what works! I normally prefer to see the natural wood grain in turnings but have found embellishments (color or texture, etc) can work as well! In this case everything works! Really like the overall form, the height and also the copper effect! That is really interesting and something I have never seen before! You keep exposing new areas when it comes to turning - Thank You for that!

So, what can I say other than keep up the good work and thank you for sharing!

Bernie Weishapl
07-06-2009, 7:44 PM
Wally that is a beautiful piece. Well done.

Wayne Leach
07-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Wally,
Its easy to see why this sold so quickly. Even though I feel the same way as David, the workmanship and form are terrific. I guess I will have to learn to appreciate the coloring and burning more???
I just love to see the wood grain and color but maybe if its bland poplar or ? it will need to be enhanced?
Best regards,
Wayne

Jeff Nicol
07-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Wally, I think this is my favorite piece to date from you! It just speaks to me, as they say in the artist's world! Great job!

Jeff

Mark Placek
07-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Hi Wally,

I think this is the first time I've commented about your work.
I like everything about this vase, the finish really makes the piece stand out.
I've been looking for some post turning processes from
dyes to pyrography to use on my next series of turnings.
The copper look enhances the vase nicely along with the pryo-pen.

Jarrod McGehee
07-08-2009, 12:51 AM
Wally, I really like what you made. it does look a little more like some pottery but that's nice how you give it that different look that you don't see too often.