PDA

View Full Version : A sad day for me

Mark Rios
08-29-2004, 9:40 PM
Well, as life sometimes does, it has thrown me a curve and a new chapter in my life has started. Unfortunately, all my woodworking tools and materials don't get to make the adjustment with me.

I've got to transfer and relocate to a new city and I've no way (or room) to take my tools with me, save a few hand tools. Would you folks be kind enough to tell me the best way to go about selling the big machines and all the walnut and a little other material I've got? I've read that woodworking machines hold a pretty good value but I don't remember the fair asking percentage to ask. As usual, any and all help you kind WW folks out there can give me is greatly appreciated.

As reminded, All of the big tools are 9 months old or less.

Thanks

Cecil Arnold
08-29-2004, 10:05 PM
Mark, I've been told that if the machine is fairly new, about a year old or so, then 80% of your cost is a good place to start. I'm sure thta others will chime in with some advice.

thomas prevost
08-29-2004, 10:12 PM
No way to put them in storage until you can find a place to set them up again? It would be a shame to take a hit on your tools.

Mike Wilkins
08-30-2004, 3:01 PM
It would be a shame to get rid of some nice toys(er tools) with little or no
dust on them. Explore the option of placing them in storage. Some of the
storage facilities are OK, dry and relatively safe; your homeowners policy
will cover them as well. Check with your agent.

Good luck. This may be a good time to brush up on your hand tool skills.

Jon Olson
08-30-2004, 3:13 PM
Mike,

Depending on the situation, 9-months of use should still yield excellent resale prices (80% sounds resonable) The storage option sounds like a great idea, unless the move required the cash from the tools. There may be some local CA SMC members that would "Store" some of your tools for you if you don't mind a little use while your not using them. ;) Keep us all posted as some of us, might have friends, neighbors interested in purchasing the tools, if selling ends up being your last resort.
Good luck with the new job!

Ken Wright
08-30-2004, 5:55 PM
to learn of your misfortune ... we had to do the same thing 12 times in 16 years. Although the company picked up all the bills, it was never an easy thing to do with the kids.

Good luck with your move and a positive resolution to the tool situation.

Mark Rios
08-30-2004, 8:42 PM
Thanks to all of you for all the support. Unfortunately, storage is not an option, but thanks for the idea. Most of my furnishings will have to go as well. I've put an ad in the local paper here for the big items: DW 735 Planer, 1182Z Jointer, G0555 bandsaw and the HF drill press and just listed the smaller tools as misc. other tools. It just occurred to me though that I forgot to list all the walnut that I have as well. Oh well, I'll have to call the paper tomorrow and see if I can add it.

Thanks again though for all of your support.

Stewart Crick
08-31-2004, 8:09 AM
Mark,

If you need the money from the sell of tools disregard, but I haven't heard you say that. When I was faced with a similiar situation I found a woodworker/friend who needed tools and let him "borrow" mine. He got free tools to work with, and I got free storage.

HTH...

Stu

Chris Padilla
08-31-2004, 12:50 PM
Mark,

Modesto ain't all far from moi...I wouldn't mind looking at the walnut you have. How much bd ft. you think you have?

Feel free to further this conversation off line in email if you like.

Michael Ballent
08-31-2004, 1:08 PM
Sorry to here that you will need to sell all your stuff. But, looking at the silver lining in the cloud, if I were in your situation I would be bummed, but also excited at the prospect of knowing what I wanted in the next set of tools. I have thought about what I would do if someone came into the garage emptied it out... after being madder than a wet wasp I would already know what I would want to get to replace the items that needed to be replaced. In your case (not sure if you will be able to buy new tools), you could pool your cash and buy upgraded equipment, possibly even some of the euro combo machines. If your new location does not have the space for a full shop, well Neander tools do not take a lot of space and you could hone your hand tool skills, although I think that I would still keep the planer ;) and give you an excuse to start those hand cut dovetails.

Best of luck on your move and hopefully you will be able to start to make sawdust soon or shavings ;)

nic obie
08-31-2004, 2:43 PM
I'm not too far away either.

If Chris doesn't want the wood drop me a email.