PDA

View Full Version : Best deal for the new SawStop PCS to New York State with tax and shipping

Drew Sanderson
07-06-2009, 9:41 AM
Does anyone know what is the best deal you can get on a pre-order of the new SawStop PCS with tax (or lack there of) and shipping (or lack there of) to New York State? Also, What is the difference between the fence on the PCS and ICS? If there is, can it be upgraded?

Mike Heidrick
07-06-2009, 9:42 AM
Check ToolKing.

Drew Sanderson
07-06-2009, 9:47 AM
I thought they can only sell in Colorado?

Drew Sanderson
07-06-2009, 9:49 AM
From their website:

ToolKing.com is authorized to sell SawStop products only to customers residing in the state of Colorado. Colorado customers can pick up this product at our Lakewood retail showroom or have it shipped in-state via freightliner.

Mike Heidrick
07-06-2009, 9:50 AM
Thanks for that info. I stand corrected.

Paul Ryan
07-06-2009, 1:33 PM
Go to sawstops web site, look for distributors in NY and call one of them. They should all charge the same, shipping should be included in the price. I have been hearing $2899 + tax. Mobile base will run $199 for the PCS and $299 for the ICS base. The fence on the PCS is the same as the ICS except the body of the fence has a little lighter steel. I wasn't fliped with the fence after moving from a steel city fence, but once aligned right, it has grown on me. It isn't too bad. It is almost identical to a BIES. You can up grade to the ICS fence which is a little thicker steel, but much too deep for the PCS saw. The ICS table is 3" deeper than the PCS saw.

tim peterson74
07-06-2009, 1:41 PM
Drew, I had a post about this the other day. From everything I found you have to purchase the sawstop from a local dealer so you are probably stuck paying local sales tax. I was told different things about the shipping cost, but it sounds like shipping is supposed to be included in the price. Hope this helps

Tim

Drew Sanderson
07-06-2009, 2:08 PM
Paul,

I had not thought about the table depth difference and that it would not fit.

Tim,

That is kind of what I thought.... Tax in our county is 8%!!!!

I will probably just go to the woodcraft franchise here since its all the same price. I never buy anything there since the prices are so out of line.

So what is the consensus on the $199 vs the $299 mobile base?

Barry Vabeach
07-06-2009, 5:36 PM
Drew, I haven't used either but most everyone loves the $299 base because all 4 wheels can rotate in any direction and IIRC it has a hydraulic lift. Some didn't like the $199 base because it has 2 wheels that don't rotate so it is more difficult to maneuver. I just built my own base because I didn't expect to move it much.

Paul Ryan
07-06-2009, 7:58 PM
Drew,

I have the $199 base and it is nice but if I had it to do over again I would have bought the ICS base. When I bough my saw I wasn't given the option. I park my saw against a wall and it would be easier if the base had 4 swivals. If you don't park your saw up against a wall and just use the base to move the saw then I would save the $100. The base that I have works real nice to raise and lower the saw and rolls it around great. And I guess it is a cleaner look, instead of having the saw on a base, my wheels are intergrated into the cabinet and fold underneath when the saw it lowered.

The ICS fence will work on the PCS saw it will just be extra long.

Brian W Evans
07-06-2009, 8:31 PM
Just to clarify: You don't have to purchase the saw where you live. The dealers have to sell within a certain geographic area. There is nothing stopping you from driving to, say, New Hampshire, where they don't have sales tax and buying a SawStop. Not sure if it would be worth it, financially, but maybe a one-way truck rental would be cheaper than your sales tax? You could also turn it into a vacation of sorts.

Some states have rules that require you to declare big ticket items purchased out of state on your state taxes, so maybe that would also negate the travel effect.

Can you tell I've looked into this?;)

Don Bullock
07-06-2009, 10:48 PM
No one discounts SawStop. What I did was find a dealer with the best service to buy mine from. He uncrated the saw, checked all tolerances, mounted it on a mobile stand, installed the electrical cord and subsidized the liftgate shipping to my shop (I paid $50 instead of the actual cost of about $90 as I recall).

Drew Sanderson
07-07-2009, 8:12 AM
Its not worth it to make the travel to NH. I did make the trip there once for a craigslist of a woodmaster.

I will be placing it along a wall so it was good to get the feedback. Who would have thought people like the more expensive one :p The integrated base looks so cool though ;)

The service issue is what i am hoping for at Woodcraft but as I said, I have never dealt with them yet. I only live 15 minutes from the store and they have a delivery truck so maybe they will set it up for me. I know I am not looking forward to wrestling the thing onto the mobile base. At the very least maybe they will give me a pat on the back and wish me luck.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Joe Mioux
07-07-2009, 9:01 AM
When I bought my saw stop, I bought it at WoodCraft in STl, MO.

I got an sales tax exemption from MO, but Saw Stop charged me sales tax in IL.

joe

Drew Sanderson
07-07-2009, 9:10 AM
New York charges tax for thinking.... Ohh crap now that I wrote this it documents that I had a thought... better open up my wallet

Frank Trinkle
07-07-2009, 9:46 AM
New York charges tax for thinking.... Ohh crap now that I wrote this it documents that I had a thought... better open up my wallet

I used to fly Emergency Medical Helicopters on the border of PA and NY. The NY tax people used to come down to the shopping malls in PA and take down NY license plate numbers... then send out tax bills for sales taxes unpaid on clothes and other items bought in PA (Clothes are not taxable in PA). Now that's pretty tyrannical!

Drew Sanderson
07-07-2009, 9:50 AM
I know you speak the truth. I remember that happening when I was a kid.