PDA

View Full Version : Another Newbie

john Powellwv
07-06-2009, 8:53 AM
Hello to All,
I sit here this morning awaiting a call from the Epilog rep to make what I hope is the final determination of the size maching I am going to order. At the moment I am leaning towards a mini 24, 40 watt maching. Purchasing the maching and the has been a dream of mine for many years having realized the capabilities and boundless limits of the markets. I know this is not a make a million quick thing, and like many there will be many set backs. I've been an SMC reader for sometime now and wish to thank all in advance for advice you may not realize you have provided.

Now on to my question of the day. While I believe that an 18X24 inch table is what I really need, one potential customer is asking me to do rifle stocks for him. Problem is rifle stock is longer than 24 inches. My thought process I'm not going to purchase a machine for one potential custormer, any thoughts or comments?

John,

Phil Salvati
07-06-2009, 9:10 AM
Hello John,

Welcome to the Creek!

I wouldn't buy a machine that is specific to one customer unless he has signed a contract worth a few bucks!

Stick with your business plan, purchase what you can afford, unless you have a few extra bucks to gamble with.

That said.... Rifle & Shotgun stocks can be done on the platform you are purchasing. The whole stock doesn't have to fit in the engraving field..... just the area being engraved.

Karen Thompson
07-06-2009, 9:53 AM
Hello John,

Welcome from me too.

The crowd here is great and I, like you got alot of my answers from lurking before joining.

I don't own an epilog but I would agree with what Phil has said. Whichever machine/model you decide on, good luck with it and have fun as well:D.

Karen

Mike Null
07-06-2009, 10:12 AM
My first machine was a 12x24 ULS and I was able to do rifle stocks by opening the front door and by-passing the interlocks with magnets.

Do not spend extra money on a large machine for this customer unless, as previously noted, you have a contract.

Welcome to SMC.

Frank Corker
07-07-2009, 8:09 AM
Welcome to the Creek Phil. I agree with what has been said. Buying your machine with just one customer in mind is a real folly, one or two jobs where the table size is bigger than your first thought, after that, tiny.