PDA

View Full Version : Router table and bit height issue

Mike Pond
07-06-2009, 8:47 AM
I have a Hitachi router and picked up the Craftsman router table at a yard sale. I have the router set into the base as far as it will go, and placed a Rockler tongue/groove bit in. However the bit still needs to go up another ~1/8" in order to properly line up with a 3/4" board. Am I missing something, or can I simply not do this with the Hitachi router & Craftsman table?

Jerome Hanby
07-06-2009, 9:54 AM
I've got a similar setup with a Craftsman Router table cast iron table saw wing and the Hitachi router using the fixed base from the fixed/plunge base kit. I had to use an adapter plate (also from Sears) to match up my base to the table. That cost me about a quarter of an inch. The thickness of the table added into the mix, I can just barely expose the complete cutting face on my round over bits. I think the height challenge is just par for the course with this kind of setup. That whole router plate insert for a router table is for more than just convenient bit changes...

Chip Lindley
07-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Mike, sometimes IT IS WHAT IT IS! Did you remove the plastic face plate from the router? IF the router is plunged or lowered in its base to the extreme, and the thickness of the RT top it is bolted to, prevents a bit from protruding above the surface further, you are at your limit.

Whatever you do, DO NOT try to increase the reach of the bit by sliding it upward in the collet. Make sure it is always fully seated!

Different routers adjust to their extreme lowered position differently. All routers are not all things to all users! Another brand of router may perform better for what you are trying to do. My Porter Cable 7518 and 690 collets protrude beyond the router base at their extreme depth setting, approximately 1/2" with plastic base removed. The collet nose is above the RT surface, using a 3/8" thick insert to attach the router.

One of the aluminum or phenolic RT inserts (3/8") in another style of RT may let your adjust the T&G bits to working height. There are also collet extensions available, but not sure if for a Hitachi.

My best advise is to re-sell the Sears RT and build your own. You can do much better! There are a zillllion threads here about the verrrry popular subject of Router Tables! Check 'em out!

Greg Hines, MD
07-06-2009, 10:33 AM
If you are having problems with the reach of your router, you might want to look into a collet extension or an Eliminator chuck to get you more depth.

Doc

Mike Pond
07-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the replies. I already had the plastic plate off. So it's looking like a new RT. Was hoping to avoid the expense as I picked up the one from Craftsman pretty inexpensively. Not sure how comfortable I am with a collet extension first, but may check it out first. Time to save up for a Veritas top ...

Myk Rian
07-06-2009, 1:34 PM
2 pieces of 3/4" MDF glued together and a $20 HF plate make a great table.

Gary Muto
07-07-2009, 8:18 AM
This is the link to the Eliminator Chuck that Dr. Hines mentioned.
http://www.routertechnologies.com/index.html
It works for 1/4" and 1/2" bit shanks.