PDA

View Full Version : My Shop Built TS Mobile Base

Jason Hanko
07-06-2009, 12:14 AM
Here's what I did on this nice long weekend!
My new (to me) Grizzly G0123 has been sitting in the same spot since we sweated it into my shop. I knew that wasn't going to fly in about 4 months when the snow starts to fall and LOML wants her car in the garage (errr...shop).
I have to thank the Creek for the basic design - heres (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=1053387&postcount=2) a link to my inspiration for this design.
I threw it together using some of the reclaimed pine barn beams I picked up for cheap not too long ago. Wasn't too sure how well pine would hold up vs. building it out of oak or walnut or something, so I built it like a tank just to be safe - all the components are 2'' thick. I decided to go with half-lap joints for the main frame, partially for added strenth and partially cause I just wanted to play with my bandsaw. ;) The outrigger beams are glued and lag-bolted onto the main frame. The bottom I made from 3/4'' MDF 'cause thats all I had laying around. I was worried about strength here too, so I reenforced the bottom with some scrap. Slapped on a coat of Poly and it was good to go.
The metal bracket thingies I found at Menards for like $1.50 each, near all the truss & rafter hardware. I think 6 of them is overkill, I couldnt get one to bend for the life of me. Casters are 4'' double locking from SES caster on Ebay (love these things).
She rolls around no problem, and theres no shaking or rocking at all. Solid as a rock when I lock even just two of the wheels too. I really like the design because Im no giant and it only raises the saw up about 2'', with an inch of clearance underneath.
Thanks for looking!

Jason Hanko
07-06-2009, 12:15 AM
It didn't even break!

Robert Chapman
07-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Looks really good - especially for someone from the University of Wisconsin.

Bob Chapman - MSU.

Jason Strauss
07-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Must have been designed by a real engineer from Purdue!

Jason Strauss
07-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Oh, and nice work, by the way! I only wish I had a TS that nice to build a stand for...

Not that this has any thing to do with woodworking, but your Badger has a trumpet. Marching band?

Jason White
07-06-2009, 9:32 PM
Nice job, Jason!

I almost went that design route, but I was a bit worried about the outriggers. I worried they might snap off because there's not much wood connecting them to the main frame (because you have to "cut around" the saw base). Great looking, though! Would be curious as to how it holds up over time.

Jason

Here's what I did on this nice long weekend!
My new (to me) Grizzly G0123 has been sitting in the same spot since we sweated it into my shop. I knew that wasn't going to fly in about 4 months when the snow starts to fall and LOML wants her car in the garage (errr...shop).
I have to thank the Creek for the basic design - heres (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=1053387&postcount=2) a link to my inspiration for this design.
I threw it together using some of the reclaimed pine barn beams I picked up for cheap not too long ago. Wasn't too sure how well pine would hold up vs. building it out of oak or walnut or something, so I built it like a tank just to be safe - all the components are 2'' thick. I decided to go with half-lap joints for the main frame, partially for added strenth and partially cause I just wanted to play with my bandsaw. ;) The outrigger beams are glued and lag-bolted onto the main frame. The bottom I made from 3/4'' MDF 'cause thats all I had laying around. I was worried about strength here too, so I reenforced the bottom with some scrap. Slapped on a coat of Poly and it was good to go.
The metal bracket thingies I found at Menards for like $1.50 each, near all the truss & rafter hardware. I think 6 of them is overkill, I couldnt get one to bend for the life of me. Casters are 4'' double locking from SES caster on Ebay (love these things).
She rolls around no problem, and theres no shaking or rocking at all. Solid as a rock when I lock even just two of the wheels too. I really like the design because Im no giant and it only raises the saw up about 2'', with an inch of clearance underneath.
Thanks for looking!

Cary Falk
07-07-2009, 2:24 AM
Nice job, Jason!

Would be curious as to how it holds up over time.

Jason
Jason,
Mine(referenced in the begining of the thread) has been holding up for about 2 years. It hasn't sagged. It doesn't even flex/bounce the couple of times I sat on the table. It seems to be rock solid. I orginally set up mine for a 42" fence to the right. I have now shifted the fence so I have 50" to the right. I want it to break so I can make a new one. Since it won't, I will probably retrofit something to it to support the extra length. I can't see wasting a good base.:)