PDA

View Full Version : First Hand Cut Dovetails

Adam Johan Bergren
07-05-2009, 10:26 PM
I made a box out of aspen (poplar bottom) as my warm-up for a step-stool that will be totally hand cut. I had never done this before (I cut about 4 practice joints on scrap before making the box shown), so I am fairly happy with how it turned out. At least I have confidence that I can in fact to this!

I wanted to post this as a thank you to everyone for inspiration- I have followed many of the threads on here and learned a lot!

Any comments, good or bad are certainly welcome. I realize that there are a number of gaps and things, so no need to hold back. I actually had a more annoying experience cutting the groove for the bottom since I only had chisels to use- I need a router plane!!

Jacob Mac
07-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Wow, nice work.

Bruce Page
07-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Great looking DT's.
I recently went through the same learning curve so I know the satisfaction that you’re feeling right now.;)

gary Zimmel
07-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Great looking dovetails Adam...
Extra points for being the first ones.

Nice to see another woodworker from Edmonton on the Creek...

John Keeton
07-06-2009, 6:53 AM
Take it from those that have undertaken handcut dovetails, this is a great beginning! They are tight, and well executed. From what I can see of the groove, you did a very clean job of that as well. I see one of these in your future
Veritas® Small Plow Plane

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/planes/05p5101s5.jpg

Stu Gillard
07-06-2009, 7:08 AM
Take it from those that have undertaken handcut dovetails, this is a great beginning! They are tight, and well executed. From what I can see of the groove, you did a very clean job of that as well. I see one of these in your future
Veritas® Small Plow Plane

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/planes/05p5101s5.jpg

How good are they at cutting 'stopped' grooves though :confused:

This is where a 71 router excels.

BTW : Excellent first dovetails Adam !