PDA

View Full Version : Emotional 4th

Jerry Bruette
07-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Had an emotional experience this weekend.

The Viet Nam Memorial Moving Wall was in town. Saw the Wall in Washington, D.C. about 15 years ago and this one was just as impressive, and emotional.

Seeing the 58,191 names gave me goose bumps and brought some tears. It makes a person look at the 4th,Veterans Day, and some other holidays a little differently.

If you can't make it to D.C. to see the Wall try to make it to the Moving Wall if it ever comes near your town. You'll never forget the experience.

Thanks to every Vet.

Jerry

James Rambo
07-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Is there a list of the towns that the wall visits?

Ken Fitzgerald
07-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Jerry,

In 1968 I passed the draft physical and quickly enlisted in the Navy. I got a 51 day delayed entry. 11 days before leaving for bootcamp, I met my wife on a blind date. We were married on Christmas Eve of '68 after I came home from bootcamp for Christmas (Enlistment Incentative).

August of 1970 while stationed in Brunswick, GA I received a letter from my Mom. One of my best friends from HS had been killed in 'Nam. After I read the letter, my bride of 18 months saw me cry for the first time.

She saw me cry again a few years ago when the Moving Wall was in Moscow, Idaho.

It was moving for me.

Ron Jones near Indy
07-05-2009, 10:49 PM
Vacationing with my wife, son and his best friend (boys were I believe 13) to Washington, D. C. and going to The Wall will always be one of my most memorable experiences. That experience still gives me goose bumps.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-05-2009, 11:00 PM
James...here's the website and there are schedules there. http://www.themovingwall.org/

Tim Wagner
07-06-2009, 1:29 AM
I never saw it. I would like to make it a priority to see it when posible. I didn't enlist when i was able to, and It has been one of my biggest regrets that will never stop huanting me as long as I live. I love my country and all who live here. now that I am 42 years of age I will never get the chance. I pray for and comend every one who serves. It is one of the biggest privleges one can ever be bestowed.

Long live the United States of America.:)

Tim.

Orion Henderson
07-06-2009, 10:19 AM
I saw the wall when I was about 13 (I am 34 now). My stepdad who served went and found every name he knew on the list. We all cried. I am kind of tearing up now.

Strange how that war is still influencing this country today. Even my generation who has no true memory of it.

Thanks everyone.

Brian Kent
07-06-2009, 12:30 PM
I just missed the Vietnam War because of my age. The year I turned 18 they were pulling out troops and Draft #187 never came up. I determined to serve my country through my work, my daily citizenship, my determination to both honor and improve the nation every day.

When I say the memorial there was this eerie feeling that my name was not on the wall by an accident of my date of birth. I found ten fallen soldiers with the same last name, and one, "Douglass Brian Kent" that I spent time with.

Rob Cunningham
07-06-2009, 1:01 PM
We went to DC several years ago on vacation. I made it a point to take my family to see The Wall. Although I don't personally know anyone who is listed there, it was still a very moving experience.

Glenn Clabo
07-06-2009, 1:04 PM
http://www.dav.org/

Dave Anderson NH
07-07-2009, 12:42 PM
I visited the wall in DC just before dawn on January 10th this year when no one was around. It was the only way I could face that dragon. It was very emotional and yes, I did cry. Many of my friends names are listed on panels 18, 19, and 20 on the west side. One of them died in my arms. Next month will be the 40th anniversary of my coming home. Facing that black granite dragon was one of the most difficult things I've ever done.

Dave Anderson
Corporal USMC
B 1/7 1st MARDIV
1st CAG
1968-69

Gene Howe
07-07-2009, 12:53 PM
I visited the wall in DC just before dawn on January 10th this year when no one was around. It was the only way I could face that dragon. It was very emotional and yes, I did cry. Many of my friends names are listed on panels 18, 19, and 20 on the west side. One of them died in my arms. Next month will be the 40th anniversary of my coming home. Facing that black granite dragon was one of the most difficult things I've ever done.

Dave Anderson
Corporal USMC
B 1/7 1st MARDIV
1st CAG
1968-69

Thank you, Dave.
Gene Howe
USAF '59-'66