PDA

View Full Version : Crazy tilting horizontal router scheme

Lynn Kasdorf
03-21-2003, 4:41 PM
The last several nights, I've been glued to AutoCAD designing my new router table. I decided to add a horizontal table to the backside. That is simple enough.

But then I got to thinking that I could make this vertical table tiltable, so I could do some interesting things like panel raising with a straight bit, etc.

The only problem is that my titling scheme has the angle between the table top and the vertical fence variable between 90 deg and 45 deg.

A commercial tilting RT tilts the other way- from 90 deg to 180 deg.

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/cfw11.htm

I really can't make my design do that. I wonder if there woudl be any value to my concept, or would it just be too dangerous to have an acute angle between the table top and the vertical table?

Another difference/downside to my approach is which side of the bit would be used. Take a panel raising example with a straight bit.

On my acute angle fence, you would bury the bit in the table and use the top of the bit. If you tilt the other way, the bit would be above the workpiece and you use the bottom. I guess that is safer, but i'm not sure. It seems like it would be more accurate.

So, I guess what I am asking is this. Should I even bother to make my vertical table (that holds the router horizontally) tiltable?

David Rose
03-21-2003, 6:17 PM
How do you control the hinge action with precision? It seems to me that the location of the hinge point would be critical also.

I wonder if a device to tilt the router would be more practical? Someone has built one commercially for PC routers. I think it may be Woodhaven. I don't know about it's accuracy either.

I'm still cutting most of my tennons on my table and *need* that precision.

Let us know how this comes out.

David

Bob Lasley
03-21-2003, 8:35 PM
Lynn,

I should think you want to bury the bit in the table and run the stock over it. Running the stock between the bit and the table sounds like a recipe for disaster. I built a horizontal table and run stock over the bit from left to right. It works great. I primarily use it for cutting tenons using a spiral bit and have been extremely pleased with the results.

Looking forward to seeing pix of your creation.

Bob

John Lucas
03-25-2003, 1:45 PM
Lynn,
WOw, that is an undertaking. As you know, I have RBI tilting table and the CFW versions before. The precision in the stell table, hinge and all is quite exact. I am sure you could replicate it, but why do it.
I have found that there are some operation the tilting table does and does well, BUT I think the horizontal table is used by me about 97% of time. If you want to make different moldings from a single bit, the RBI Hawk is the table for you. But I amnot sure I would attempt to make one.

Dave Avery
03-25-2003, 2:54 PM
Lynn,

Sounds like a neat idea. Let us know how you make out.

Like Bob, I have a separate horizontal router table. I use it mostly for making loose tenon joinery. Since my "regular" router table is in the left table saw extension, I've convinced myself that it's not really like having 2 tables. I use an old Ryobi RE600 in the HRT - it wasn't great as a hand-held plunge router, but it suits my needs very well in a horizontal set-up. Dave.