PDA

View Full Version : Tool junkie's trifector: Good month for a cheap Connecticut yankee!

Peter Quinn
07-05-2009, 5:10 PM
This month i have found and purchased three items I have been searching for for several years. Any of these items can be had readily for enough money, but being of limited means and frugal intentions, I prefer to wait and search for bargains.

Last week I found a minimax T40 shaper, 5HP 1 1/4" shaper that fits my baseline need as a serious small shop shaper, $900, plus the guy threw in what I estimate to be at least another $800 worth of cutters for an extra $100. I had given up on finding a used shaper and was saving for a PM 2700, guess i can stop saving for that.

Same weekend I found large euro rabbit/tenon cutter for the shaper from Oella Saw and tool. Been looking for one of those too, though not as large as this 7" (180MM) Leuco beast I have now. $1100 cutter, reconditioned, for under $200. That ought to do it.

This morning, I'm at the weekly flee market trolling through the junk when I look down on a Stanley 113 compass plane. Perfect working order, "more of a user than a looker" in the sellers own description. $90. Been looking for one for some time now, at least one I could afford to use. Guess good things do come in threes?

Philip Johnson
07-05-2009, 5:58 PM
I always find the deals after I buy a new tool. Congrats on the new toys