PDA

View Full Version : Mortiser Mobile Base Question

David Schmaus
07-05-2009, 2:36 PM
I am looking for some pics/ideas for a mobile base for my Jet mortiser. My idea is to put my $29 ridgid shop vac that I just picked up at HD in the base and run rigid flex hose up to the bit to help with shavings.. Then have a single drawer for bits and chisels. I just finished using the mortiser for 3" deep through mortises and I know how much pressure I had to apply. I am concerned that the mobile base might tip.. Any thoughts would be great.

Thank you!

Paul Ryan
07-05-2009, 7:16 PM
David,

I am to lazy to go out to the shop right now and take pictures of my base. I have the same jet and just bought 4 casters from great lakes, cut a piece of 3/4 plywood and made a perimeter out of riped 2x4's so the mortiser couldn't slide off. The piece of ply wood ended up being small enough the it is plenty strong to support the wright of the mortiser. I have rolled it around for months on this base and haven't had any problems.

Don Bullock
07-05-2009, 11:42 PM
I used a Craftsman rolling tool box as a stand for my mortiser and bench top drill press. See thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=55997