PDA

View Full Version : Removing Loctite

Burt Alcantara
07-05-2009, 2:35 PM
I have a screw that has loctite on it. As it is dead tight I'm thinking it may be red as blue usually comes off with a little effort.

Is there a chemical or over the counter product that will dissolve or otherwise loosen up red loctite?

Thanks,
Burt

Charles Lent
07-05-2009, 2:41 PM
If it's red loctite the only way that I've found to remove bolts that are locked with it is to heat the bolt and the part that it's in with a torch. At a temperature where paint burns the locktite releases. I know this isn't a very scientific description, but it's all I have. I NEVER use red loctite anymore.

Charley

Michael Sobik
07-05-2009, 2:52 PM
If it's a small screw, you can touch the tip of a soldering iron to it rather than use the torch. This has worked well for me in the past.

Jerry Bruette
07-05-2009, 3:00 PM
I believe you need 300 degrees F to break locktite. I've talked to factory reps about a chemical to break the bond and was told "that's the beauty of locktite it's impervious to chemicals". We do use IPA to clean up the unset liquid from our applicators at work though.

Good Luck
Jerry

Paul Ryan
07-05-2009, 7:10 PM
Guys I have delt with red and blue lock tite my whole life. No need to start heating or using chemicals. Just take the bolt over to the bench grinder and use the wire wheel to clean the threads. That will do all you need to clean it up. If you don't have a wire wheel run a die over it that will clean out the lock tite well enough to use it over. I swear chrysler owned part of lock tite corp because they used gallons of it on any bolt you wont expect to need it.

Scott T Smith
07-05-2009, 7:25 PM
Just hope that your screw wasn't installed with green loctite...