PDA

View Full Version : More home made tools

Mike Minto
07-05-2009, 10:08 AM
here's my latest attempt at making tools - sure wish i was doing this earlier in my turning - would have saved lots of money, haha. the light oak handle holds a carbide cutter bought from Hunter tools - sorry about the fuzzy pic. the dark handled tool is a boring bar handled in ebonized oak (funny how it left a 'grainy' appearance) and finished with wipe-on poly; the cutter i ground from 1/4 inch HSS stock on my slow speed bench grinder (showing a couple of blanks in their store wrapper, and one i finished) bought from ENCO - great company, great prices. i cut the cold rolled 5/8 bar with a hand-held grinder, and drilled & tapped a 6-32 hole to hold the cutter. i saw Chris Rae's home made one, it's really nice; i think she tapped it with an 8-32; i couldn't get one that large thru the #4 cutter i had. mike

Steve Schlumpf
07-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Looks like the tools should work great Mike! I really like the Oak handle - especially the way the grain has been accentuated by being ebonized! If I ever turn Oak - will have to keep that effect in mind!

Bernie Weishapl
07-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Good looking tools Mike and should do the job nicely.