PDA

View Full Version : OT Firefox backup

Chuck Wintle
07-05-2009, 6:51 AM
Like many in this forum i upgraded to FF 3.5 and since doing that it was taking forever to load when i clicked on the icon to start it. :mad:
So I reinstalled an earlier version(3.0.11) and its now working perfectly. Anyone else experiencing problems with the latest version of FF? :)

Larry Browning
07-05-2009, 7:30 AM
nope, FF3.5 seems to be much faster, including loading. I have installed it on 3 computers plus the portable edition on my USB thumb drive. All good.

Dave Lehnert
07-05-2009, 9:31 AM
Whats new in V 3.5

Brad Wood
07-05-2009, 9:46 AM
funny, i thought something was up with my pc... i've got 3.5 loaded at work and it is fine. here on my kitchen pc it takes a friggen long time to load... long enough that I start to wonder if i clicked the stinkin' icon or not

Chuck Wintle
07-05-2009, 9:53 AM
funny, i thought something was up with my pc... i've got 3.5 loaded at work and it is fine. here on my kitchen pc it takes a friggen long time to load... long enough that I start to wonder if i clicked the stinkin' icon or not

As was mentioned I went back to the previous version and no problem!

Ted Shrader
07-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Charles -

Firefox v3.5 is working fine for me. Maybe if you downloaded v3.5 again - possible corruption on install?

Good luck,
Ted

Chuck Wintle
07-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Charles -

Firefox v3.5 is working fine for me. Maybe if you downloaded v3.5 again - possible corruption on install?

Good luck,
Ted

thats possible. will try again.

Chuck Wintle
07-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Charles -

Good luck,
Ted

no luck. installed 3.5 and it still takes forever to load. went back to previous version and it works without a hitch.....loads very quickly. I have no idea why.:confused::confused:

Frank Hagan
07-05-2009, 12:20 PM
I've had good luck on three computers so far, but haven't upgraded my wife's laptop yet. IE 8 was slow as molasses on one (didn't upgrade the others because of it).

The old Firefox 3.0.x did have update problems with Logitech webcams; you would get into an endless "failed to upgrade" loop until you unloaded the Logitech program. They may have something like that with the new one. They usually are pretty fast with updates, and with two of you having the problem, I'll bet there are plenty more.

New Firefox adds some things other browsers have ... private browsing (no history or cookies are kept after the session) and faster Flash execution. It does seem faster to me.

Larry Browning
07-05-2009, 2:34 PM
Whats new in V 3.5
It is supposed to be MUCH faster than previous versions. It also supports HTML5 whch is supposed to have a built in video player, which does not require flash player to be installed. This is a MAJOR release with lots and lots of new stuff.
Here is the link to the 3.5 release notes (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.5/releasenotes/)

Ron Jones near Indy
07-05-2009, 3:14 PM
Works well for me. Did you restart after reloading?

Chuck Wintle
07-05-2009, 3:25 PM
Works well for me. Did you restart after reloading?

yes, many times.

Brad Wood
07-05-2009, 3:27 PM
i just dumped temp internet files on this system and it seems to have made a difference.

give that a shot and see if it helps you.

Chuck Wintle
07-05-2009, 4:43 PM
i just dumped temp internet files on this system and it seems to have made a difference.

give that a shot and see if it helps you.

tried that already with no change. :(

Peter Stahl
07-05-2009, 8:37 PM
Maybe you have to uninstall the old one then install the new one. I didn't have any trouble with my upgrade. I have Window Vista on my HP laptop. What version of Windows are you using?

Chuck Wintle
07-05-2009, 8:39 PM
Maybe you have to uninstall the old one then install the new one. I didn't have any trouble with my upgrade. I have Window Vista on my HP laptop. What version of Windows are you using?

I am using Windows XP.

Ray Dockrey
07-05-2009, 10:35 PM
I have Windows Vista on one machine and XP on my machine at work and have the same issues on both. Double click the icon and it takes several seconds for it to open. I had no issues until I installed the new version. Just found this. I guess they are aware of the issue.

http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?locale=de&forumId=1&comments_parentId=381674

Tim Wagner
07-06-2009, 1:35 AM
I used to use it, but after many prblems with it I finaly reverted to IE, and never looked back.:)

Frank Trinkle
07-06-2009, 7:54 AM
I used to use it, but after many prblems with it I finaly reverted to IE, and never looked back.:)

IE??? Ewwwwww! :D

I have computers running XP, Vista, and four Macs and haven't had any problems with Firefox 3.5 on any of them.

My guess is that there is a plug in that some of you have that is causing the problem. I'm sure the Mozilla Development Team will have a fix upcoming shortly.

One more note... You may want to try Apple's Safari browser too. The latest version is awesome... and VERY VERY fast. (Both Mac and Windows versions available).

I use both Firefox and Safari... and have not booted up IE in a long long time... thankfully! heh heh

Paul Ryan
07-06-2009, 8:17 AM
I installed Fire Fox a few weeks ago after reading about how great it is. Personally I couldn't stand it, too slow and quirky. Maybe that is becuase I have 3.5 as well. I went back to IE 8 and am perfectly happy, it is faster and more stable on my vista laptop.

Larry Browning
07-06-2009, 3:52 PM
Check this out on Mozilla website (https://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?comments_parentId=381674&forumId=1)

Seems this is a known bug in FF 3.5. I have also read elsewhere that 3.5 is rapidly getting the reputation of being buggy.

Ken Garlock
07-06-2009, 5:00 PM
Charles the first thing to do is to clean up your computer disk. Go into windows accessories/system tools and run Disk Cleanup. Run it at least twice. If you want the gold standard for organizing disks, get "Diskeeper." A disorganized disk means you programs need to run all over the disk every time it needs to load an item, and as might guess, that slows it down.

Make sure your FF options are set to clear its buffers when closing. Check your cookies, you probably have a list of cookies dating back for months, if not years. FF handles cookies nicely. You can specify what URLs for which FF will keep the cookies, all others get flushed at close.

Check your Email reader, how long has it been since you deleted old 'sent' messages? IF you haven't used them in the last 30 to 60 days, you have no use for them, so get rid of them. Then, while you are at it, run the Email file compactor to reclaim space in the Email folders.

Brad Wood
07-17-2009, 8:44 PM
3.5.1 is available and supposed to address our slow loading issue (my fix I mentioned earlier only helped slightly).
I just installed and it restarted fine.... we'll see after FF has been closed long enough for it to be cleared from cache.

Jim Becker
07-17-2009, 8:50 PM
Many folks have noted issues with 3.5, so I've held off installing it for now.

Brad Wood
07-18-2009, 9:47 AM
patch seems to have worked for me, FF started right up this morning