PDA

View Full Version : Before and After

Dick Parr
08-29-2004, 3:42 PM
A week or so ago I posted pictures of an old lathe a friend brought over. Well I got the old lathe all cleaned up and did some modification while I was at it. :D

After cleaning it up, I tried to turn a spindle on it and the motor (1/3 hp, washing machine motor) would stop turning with the slightest pressure. Even green wood wouldn't turn. :mad: So a friend had this BIG, BIG 3/4 hp motor sitting around and we put it on yesterday. Did I mention that the motor was BIG. It took the two of us to lift it up. :p Well I don't have any problem turning wood with this old lathe now. Man does it have torque and is it quit. :D It took the wife and I both one end at a time to move it back in place. I added a link belt to it while I was at it. We didn't want to chance messing with the tight bearings and just cut the old belt off.

The only thing left is to find a step pulley for a 3/4" shaft. This thing has a 4" pulley on it now and I would like to go to 2", 3" and 4" step for the motor. Then I will need to adjust the link belt that I added. By adding that handle to the support, it will be easy to change speeds. :p

So here is a before and after picture of the old lathe. Still have figured out what brand it is though. It could be a Rockwell, a Delta or a Craftsman?

I was saving for a Jet 1462 but now I think this will be all I need and so will use the money to get an Airshield instead. The wife even agree's it would be money better spent. :eek: Something is wrong here, we agree on a tool purchase. :D

Thanks for looking.

Mark Singer
08-29-2004, 3:46 PM
Nice restoration...they don't makem' like they used to! Thats why we walked uphill both ways.

Jim Becker
08-29-2004, 5:13 PM
Now, that's lookin' great!!

David Wilson
08-29-2004, 5:34 PM
Dick
Looking good.

Sparky Paessler
08-29-2004, 6:42 PM
Great looking lathe Dick! I love old iron.

Sparky

Lou Morrissette
08-29-2004, 7:05 PM
Nice machine Dick. Good job

Dennis Peacock
08-29-2004, 7:42 PM
I don't see but one problem Dick.

No shavings or sawdust on that thing yet.!!! :p :rolleyes:

Looks good and a fine job on getting this ready for spinning. :D

Russell Svenningsen
08-30-2004, 8:52 AM
I have that exact machine, it was my grandfather's. It is a Rockwell/Delta. You're not kidding when you say it's heavy....I just moved all my stuff from Cincinnati to Minnesota.......the lathe was quite the beast to get into the Uhaul.

In a box of shop stuff, I have the manual that a fella emailed to me sometime ago. I'd be happy to send you a copy when I get that stuff out of storage in a couple of weeks, if you'd like one. The only trouble I had was finding a live center for the tailstock. I made a Jet, #1MT work. Is that a live center I see on it already? Could you tell me how it fits? I am looking to get one, as the aformentioned Jet works, but not perfectly.

Congrats on the lathe. It'll serve you well.

Best,
Russell

Dick Parr
08-30-2004, 10:03 AM
Russell, the live center does work good and cleaned up good. It was full of rust and wouldn't turn when I started.

Yes I would love to get a copy of the manual when you get time. I will PM you my address.

I have found that everything off my Jet Mini fits this lathe. So I'm thinking that makes it a #2MT and 1 x 8 spindle. My supernova fits with no problem but the face plate off the mini won't screw on???

Thanks for the info.

Jerry Olexa
08-30-2004, 10:30 AM
Excellent job of restoration! Probably better than most current day tools! Enjoy the results of your good effort!!:)

Bob Hovde
08-30-2004, 1:44 PM
This is the perfect machine to turn into a variable speed lathe. I don't remember right now which video I saw it on (Dale Stuart? I'm having a "senior moment"), but it was a foot treadle with a cord going up to a pulley and then down to the motor platform. The motor was hinged on one side and just held the drive belt tight by gravity. When you pushed the treadle, the motor lifted, causing the belt to slip slightly. You don't need it very often, but it seemed to work very well.

Bob

Tyler Howell
08-30-2004, 1:58 PM
This guy hits another one out of the park! Thanks for sharing Dick.;)

Dick Parr
08-30-2004, 3:52 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Bob, I think you are talking about "Bowl Tuning with Del Stubbs". I have that video and was thinking the same thing, that is the other reason for the handle. I just need to figure out the pulley situation.

I went to Grainger today and even they don't have a 4 step pulley (for a 3/4" shaft, they have them for 1/2" shaft) and the guy doesn't know of anyone that does. :( So I got a 2" and 3" pulley and will try to mount both of those on the motor and see what happens. Theoretically, this should give me 8 speeds. Not sure if the belt will bind or rub? It didn't with just the old 2" pulley on it. I might just go with one or the other, but the 4" that is on the motor now is to big to make any adjustments of the speed. If I could find some pulleys in steel, I would go up to the high school and weld them into one. But ya can't weld that pot metal they are made of.

Dick Parr
09-01-2004, 10:22 PM
This is a picture for Dennis, these chips are for you. :p I finally got the pulleys (2" & 3") on and the belt adjusted and started turning the first bowl on it today. This piece of walnut is not wanting to cooperate, it keeps wanting to tear out and there are also a few cracks in it that I have put CA flue into to try and stop the cracks from getting bigger. I'll see how it turns out in the morning when I try to finish it up.

Jim Ketron
09-01-2004, 10:56 PM
Looks like you have that lathe runing like a top!
Great job Dick!
Jim

Tom Sweeney
09-01-2004, 11:58 PM
Now that's what we're talkin about! :D

The bowl is looking great - I remember Dom talking about how walnut is prone to tearout so he seals it with a mixture of 50% mineral spirits and 50% varnish. This apparantly stiffens the fibers so the tool cuts the wood cleaner. I have some walnut but haven't turned any yet - I've used this mixture with other woods with decent results though. Might be worth a shot.

Dominic Greco
09-02-2004, 7:58 AM
First off, congrats on restoring a beautiful piece of old iron! As a member in good standing of the Tool Archeologist's Club I salute you! :>)

...I remember Dom talking about how walnut is prone to tearout so he seals it with a mixture of 50% mineral spirits and 50% varnish. This apparently stiffens the fibers so the tool cuts the wood cleaner.

Tom was right on the money with this one. Walnut is one of those woods with very open end grain. I had a problem like this on a 16" salad bowl and ended up using the sealing technique Tom mentioned. The mixture does exactly what he reports. Picture the fibers of the wood like a handful of straws. If you hold them loosely and try to cut then in half with a sharp knife, they spread out. BUT, hold them in a tight grip, and you'll be able to cut them like nobody's business.

Sealing the wood with a mixture of 50% mineral spirits and 50% varnish (McCluskey's in the red can. The type with the Alkyd resins) can really help you to reduce this.

After getting the blank to it's final shape, make up a container of this mixture and give the blank a couple of coats. Let it sit overnight, and the next day try sanding, or shear scraping (I recommend shear scraping). You'll be amazed at the finish.

I use this sealing method on all pesky woods I come across. It works great as a media for wet sanding open grained hardwoods like Walnut and Osage Orange. The slurry from wet sanding fills the pores of the wood and gives you an Ultra-Smooth finish.

Good luck!